Motorsport passion

Reidy back in the BTCC with WSR

Jon

Number of posts : 528
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Reidy back in the BTCC with WSR

Post by Jon on Mon Aug 24 2009, 14:00

Anthony Reid will make his British Touring Car Championship return at Silverstone this weekend with the WSR BMW squad.

The 52-year-old veteran has been brought in to the team, which he previously raced an MG for between 2001 and 2004, to race a third 320si alongside championship leader Colin Turkington and Stephen Jelley, and he is excited about his return.

"Driving for this team is a fantastic opportunity and one I just couldn't turn down," said the 15-time BTCC race-winner.

"It's great being re-united with the crew at WSR again and I already feel right at home. It's especially good for me having Colin as a team-mate again and I'll be doing all I can to help him and the team to win the Championship.

"It's also going to be fun locking horns with fellow 'old boys' Plato and Neal; we've had some great battles over the years and no doubt we'll have more this weekend."

WSR team boss Dick Bennetts said that he has recruited Reid in a bid take points off the Vauxhall of Fabrizio Giovanardi, which closed to within nine points of Turkington in the championship at Knockhill last time out.

"Our hand's been forced by Vauxhall instituting team orders at Knockhill with Matt Neal and Andrew Jordan giving positions and points to Fabrizio," Bennetts said.

"There's nothing wrong in them doing that; in fact it shows what good team-players they both are. However three against two isn't a fair fight, so that's why we've brought in Anthony to assist Colin and Stephen.

"It's going to be tough for him, never having driven the car before and having to carry maximum ballast of 45kg (as a late entry penalty), but we expect him to be quickly up to speed and right up there in the races."

This is going to be nothing short of fun. Reidy is probably going to be like a homing missile on those Vauxhalls once he is up to speed. Probably the best person WSR could have called on as I think he will be far more robust with people like Neal, Plato and Collard than someone like Priaulx or Huisman etc would have been. There's not going to be a straight panel on his car or anyone he goes up against after any of the remaining races. :party :party
    Eurostc

Number of posts : 1449
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Re: Reidy back in the BTCC with WSR

Post by Eurostc on Mon Aug 24 2009, 23:57

Old school playground rules..... Very Happy

Number of posts : 1052

Post by snowy on Tue Aug 25 2009, 10:03

Anthony Reid taught Matt Neil everything he knows, so it will be interesting to see if the master kept anything up his sleave. Or perhaps the student's new tricks can upset the natural order... Twisted Evil Anyway it is very likely to be a crash fest with such a close championship and with so many in really fast cars with nothing at all to lose! It could well be frightful!!! affraid

"After three days without racing, life becomes meaningless."
    Jon

Number of posts : 528
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Jon on Sat Aug 29 2009, 01:10

Reid is so far only back for Silverstone, WSR still need the budget to have him out for Rockingham and Brandshatch.

We've also got Martyn Bell, James Nash and Tom Onslow-Cole back so the grid is back up to 20.

Jason Hughes may be out for the final 2 races, Liam Mc Millan will hopefully be back for a round, Jones and Shedden are trying to get a deal together for the SEATs apparently and I can't remember where I spotted it, but we may yet see a third Airwaves BMW before the end of the season - although the rumour referred to a driver who has been dropped in the past few days - so I guess that could be Shedden as well, seeing as Jones' sponsors own his SEAT.
    Eurostc

Number of posts : 1449

Post by Eurostc on Wed Sep 02 2009, 00:28

BTCC: Matt Hamilton unveils livery for BTCC debut
    As announced by TouringCarTimes last month, single-seater ace Matt Hamilton will be joining the BTCC at Rockingham. The ex-Formula Palmer Audi racer will race an ex-Andy Priaulx Honda Civic in the series for the final two rounds of the championship.
    By Peter Hodges Monday, 31 August 2009 22:45 CET
    19-year-old Hamilton has also previously raced in Formula Ford and Formula BMW, whilst in May he made his GT racing debut in a Ginetta G50 at the highly competitive Silverstone rounds of the FIA GT4 Championship.

Matt’s father Steve Hamilton confirmed that time had just been too short to get the car on track for the BTCC rounds at Silverstone, but Matt had been at the circuit with TH Motorsport in preparation for his touring car debut at Rockingham in two weeks time.

Speaking to TouringCarTimes in August, Hamilton revealed the challenge he was looking forward to tackling on joining the BTCC, saying; “The biggest thing to get used to is the front wheel drive, as when I tested the car a couple of weeks ago it was the first time I’d driven a front wheel drive car.

“I’m not expecting miracles, but with the testing restrictions in the BTCC it’s valuable seat time to get out there and get racing ahead of next season.”

Matt had previously tested the Civic in a plain silver and blue livery, but thanks to Andy Blackmore Design, TouringCar Times can reveal the new livery that will be debuted on the 19th September.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24 2017, 01:56