Motorsport passion

EYW2KAF1BWATA!

snowy

Number of posts : 1052
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Re: EYW2KAF1BWATA!

Post by snowy on Mon Nov 16 2009, 16:41

Shocking news! Shocked

If in doubt don't go into direct competition with your engine supplier, as he may take offence. Embarassed

"After three days without racing, life becomes meaningless."
    snowy

Post by snowy on Mon Nov 16 2009, 16:45

Jenson would be well advised to stay put regardless of the financial cost... detective

snowy

Post by snowy on Mon Nov 16 2009, 17:07

BrawnGP's Windtunnel site

srecko

Number of posts : 154
    Registration date : 2009-01-01

Post by srecko on Tue Nov 17 2009, 11:47

Button & Hamilton together in team Mclaren in 2010... :checkeredflag:
    snowy

Post by snowy on Tue Nov 17 2009, 12:42

It's looking like a racing certainty. Basketball

I don't envy Jenson, the McLaren has been designed around a tail happy Hamilton. Neutral I can't see Jenson thriving with McLaren unless they can get it to handle the opposite of how it was originally concieved! confused

They rarely managed to make Heikki feel that comfortable in it. No

snowy

Post by snowy on Tue Nov 17 2009, 17:44

Just how much has it cost Honda to create this winning team for Mercedes? They have spent many hundreds of millions promoting Mercedes and making Ross Brawn and Nick Fry incredibly rich. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It is very rare for one car company to give another a couple of hundred million pounds to advertise their competitors product... scratchchin

Those bosses at Honda who have not already fallen on their swords must be seriously considering the afterlife if not their position... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

RKipker

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-12-05

Post by RKipker on Wed Nov 18 2009, 01:25

snowy wrote:Jensen's £8million demand is a third of what Kimi was getting and half what Lewis Hamilton gets so it isn't actually that unreasonable. I'm sure if Ross offered him 7 and a reasonable bonus for race wins and points I'm sure Jenson would have bitten his hand off. Seems strange that they haven't reached an agreement since they both claim to admire the other. scratchchin

affraid I'm Shocked and retract my statement... Go Jensen!
    snowy

Post by snowy on Wed Nov 18 2009, 12:02

Done deal! affraid

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ross Brawn's 99% certainty that Jenson would stay with Brawn was either widely optimistic,
    or very clever misdirection. elephant

snowy

Post by snowy on Wed Nov 18 2009, 12:16

To be fair to Jenson he has nothing to lose taking on Lewis as Nico is probably just as quick as Lewis. Nico is also reputed to have a not inconsiderable technical ability and it was in car setup that Jenson struggled against Rubens, often losing out when the car was less than suited to a circuit.

Eurostc

Number of posts : 1449

Post by Eurostc on Thu Nov 19 2009, 00:31

Kimi.................................. play

Post by RKipker on Thu Nov 19 2009, 02:57

I think Lewis will out drive him in every race.... as he did Heiki
    snowy

Post by snowy on Thu Nov 19 2009, 10:42

I believe that Jenson's diametrically opposed driving style will give him a distinct advantage over Lewis at some circuits. The McLaren performed well in Lewis' hands at places like Hungary, Monaco, Singapore, Bahrain etc. And at the tracks where the car didn't perform well Heikki often outqualified Lewis, however Heikki for one reason or another failed to convert most of those opportunities to outscore Lewis. Jenson has a proven ability to perform consistently over a race distance. If the car is good and capable of scoring podiums I would put money on Jenson converting them. Lewis will need to revert to his early season one methodology where he was conservative but frighteningly consistent.

Turkey should be an interesting race.

Flaux

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by Flaux on Thu Nov 19 2009, 10:52

Yeah.... I'm a bit upset by the fact that Kimi takes a year off...

Hopefully we will see him on Eurosport [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    snowy

Post by snowy on Fri Nov 20 2009, 18:18

Schumacher to Mercedes doesn't look so outlandisch. Cool

Mercedes want Michael Schumacher

RKipker

Post by RKipker on Sun Nov 22 2009, 16:26

snowy wrote:Schumacher to Mercedes doesn't look so outlandisch. Cool

Mercedes want Michael Schumacher

This would be awesome.... Jenson, Massa, Lewis and Vettel all against Michael!
    snowy

Post by snowy on Mon Nov 23 2009, 15:06

Don't forget Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber, it looks like the most competitive season in the History of F1.

However the new skinnier front tyres and the continued use of the double deck diffuser do not bode well for overtaking...

Why the skinnier front tyres? Why no ban on the double deck diffuser? The guys drawing up the regulations appear to have **** for brains... Rolling Eyes

snowy

Post by snowy on Mon Nov 23 2009, 15:30

"When we changed back to slick tyres the grooved tyre size
    was retained, meaning that the front gained proportionally more grip than the rear. This is addressed by making the front tyre narrower."

Bridgestone's skinny explanation

snowy

Post by snowy on Mon Nov 23 2009, 15:58

I came across this interesting comment in a discussion on overtaking in Joe Saward's Grand Prix Blog:

The fia looks at overtaking

Paul-Henri Cahier writes:
    F1 Overtaking Statistics & Analysis

The reason for no passing has appeared clearly in the excellent study done by Cliptheapex. Here is all the data:

Bottom line: the overtaking downhill trend started in 1984: thats when Gordon Murray introduced pitstops for tire change, allowing drivers to “pass in the pit lane”… Gordon has actually apologised to all F1 fans for having done that.

So, the FIA doesn’t need to look that far to improve passing, but guess what? Pitstops for tire change will continue next year…

Take a look at the Passing data, there is a catastrophically marked drop off in overtaking between 1993 and 1994 where the average overtakes per driver per GP drops from 0.94 to 0.69! The introduction of refuelling certainly made its mark! Mad

2003 was a relatively good year for overtaking during the lean years of refueling. The average went back up to 0.95... I wonder why? scratchchin

snowy

Post by snowy on Mon Nov 23 2009, 16:14

detective 2003 coincided with the new points system being introduced 10,8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Bi-Directional telemetry banned.

2004: The banning of launch control and automatic transmission... seems to have knocked overtaking back into the downward trend scratchchin

snowy

Post by snowy on Mon Nov 23 2009, 17:29

Mr John B Chapman's reply to Mr Cahier's conclusions is very interesting:

In summary, what my playing shows is that in no year between 1983 and 1993 did the number of passes exceed one standard deviation from the mean (i.e. well within the natural variability of the data). In this period overtaking peaked between 1984 and 1986 (+0.54, 0.87 and 0.66 sd, respectively), with negative dips in 1988 and 1992 (-0.56 and -0.76, respectively). In all other years the mean number of overtaking moves made was well within 0.3 sd of the period mean, a very stable pattern. The big excursion happens in 1994, with a sudden drop to -1.03 sd below. This trend continues in 1995 and 1996 (-2.02 and -2.78 sd) before settling down to between -2.5 and -3.0 sd below the 1983-93 mean.

The peak in the mid-1980s might be skewing the data, but without seeing data for pre-1983 it is impossible to tell (with numbers, anyway!) whether this high reflects the tail of a much greater degree of overtaking in the late ’70s (and so 1983 would be an anomalous low) or a small upward excursion from a stable value.

The take home message, as far as I can make out, should be that the FIA must undo whatever they did in 1994 (i.e. chicanes and stops for fuel). There is no large deviation after the introduction of tyre pit stops, and in fact the shift in the period 1983-1986 is toward more overtaking at the traditional tracks! I understand the rationale you present, but it is based on the total data which is strongly biased due to changing venues.

Based on that lunchtime of number crunching I am very interested to see what happens next year, with the re-banning of fuel stops. I know many in the media have fretted that it may reduce overtaking chances, but the statistics suggest that it may actually help. Fingers crossed…

I am inclined to agree with him but I can't number crunch, I only have my guts to guide me. Rolling Eyes

Flaux

Post by Flaux on Tue Nov 24 2009, 16:29

For me this is the rapid development of aerodynamic... The "wet-track"-charts would prove that. but there not published... tzz...

Wow, they wanted to improve in 2009. Look where they have finished!

EDIT: Look in the "Passing data per circuit" for the wet non-aerodynamic races! (blue Background) In the modern era it looks like '83 in some places. That should prove the prob. It's the aero. And nobody can do anything about it. Because every new rule would get through those brilliant aero-calculations and we would end up with the same result.

How funny is that! Flood the tracks and we will have great races! cheers

IMO...

haha

Here you can see the development in aero by yourself. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    snowy

Post by snowy on Tue Nov 24 2009, 17:09

Surely the aero efficiency and its effect on the car behind are only marginally affected by a wet track. It is mechanical grip and brake efficiency that suffer the greatest reduction. Indicating that increased braking distances are the key to increasing overtaking... detective

Flaux

Post by Flaux on Tue Nov 24 2009, 22:01

But I don't understand why it's mentioned so little. Its the only constant which matches the study. Aero increased - Passings decrease.

Anyway, I think Pitstops should be banned completly. It would be great to see the cars work with the less grip of the harder compound. And it would be a new challenge for the engineers to improve the tyrewear and for the drivers to balance the optimal grip through the hole race. Furthermore the engines have to be econimical so you can use less fuel. That's a really good part for next year. Something that the FIA has done quiet right I think.

BTW: Would love to see the study from 1950 to 2009 detective
    snowy

Post by snowy on Fri Nov 27 2009, 10:50

Does Lewis Hamilton really wear his tyres out faster than most other drivers?

Heikki:
    I just struggled with my rear tyres all the way through the race, to be honest. They were going away and I was damaging them excessively. The car control became difficult and I had to slow down. This was the reason I couldn’t keep up. I think it’s a bit of both. It looks like in the low grip conditions I put more load on the tyres. We saw that a little bit in Canada, where I had more tyre wear compared to Lewis again. In the rain when the grip is lower I put a little more load on the rear tyres. It’s probably something I need to look.
    Tyre wear

Prior to the Japanese Grand Prix Kovalainen discussed his driving style and the tyre problems in an interview with the Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat, feeling they had now solved the issues. He explained his driving style was now very close to Hamilton's, as well as his car set-up. Hamilton's aggressive driving style seemed to work the best with the McLaren MP4-23, allowing the tyres to last longer. Hamilton hits the brakes harder and turns the car more quickly into the corner, while Kovalainen's softer driving style would be to drive with a longer curve into the corner, going easier on the brakes and accelerating halfway through the corner. Since the McLaren was harder on the tyres than Renault and the Bridgestones weren't quite as robust as the Michelins, that driving style now led to excessive tyre degradation.

Last edited by snowy on Fri Nov 27 2009, 11:19; edited 4 times in total

snowy

Post by snowy on Fri Nov 27 2009, 11:09

It takes a woman to see through all the BS on Button vs Hamilton!

10/10 for this article:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24 2017, 01:43