Motorsport passion

BTCC 2010

Jon

Number of posts : 528
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Re: BTCC 2010

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 03 2010, 12:29

Didn't see this one coming, considering Pinkney has 1 Vectra, Andy Jordan has another and the third 2009 shell is apparently at the Jordans as well.

Triple Eight close to BTCC return:

Multiple championship-winning British Touring Car team Triple Eight Race Engineering is nearing a return to the series this season, following Vauxhall's withdrawal from the category last year.

The Northamptonshire-based team fielded Vauxhall's factory cars for 11 seasons and won a total of 14 drivers', manufacturers' and teams' crowns during that period. It was left without a deal when the Luton manufacturer quit the BTCC at the end of 2009.

Team boss Ian Harrison said he is confident of returning to the grid as a private operation this season and admitted he was close to concluding a deal with at least one driver to handle a Vauxhall Vectra fitted with the new two-litre turbocharged TOCA engine.

"We've got the Vectras here and it's a car we know from the ground up because we built it and we have the expertise to get the maximum from it," said Harrison. "We're talking to some serious parties about the 2010 programme already."

Italian Fabrizio Giovanardi took back-to-back titles with the Vauxhall Vectra in 2007 and 2008 and is currently without a drive for the forthcoming season.

Two other privately-run Vectras will appear on the 2010 grid in the hands of Andrew Jordan and David Pinkney.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 03 2010, 14:40

John George to Techspeed/ Sunshine:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

George to partner O'Neill at sunshine/Tech-Speed

John George will partner Paul O’Neill in the sunshine.co.uk with Tech-Speed team in 2010’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

The Guernsey-domiciled Cornishman has driven his own Honda Integra – sponsored by his chain of mobile phone shops JAG – for the past three seasons but will now switch to one of the Tech-Speed outfit’s cars.

He’s clearly taking the forthcoming season with great seriousness – at the weekend he was honing his left-foot braking skills on the same snowy Arctic Rally stages in Finland as Citroen World Rally team drivers Dani Sordo and Kimi Raikkonen!

And the 48-year-old told btcc.net: “My target for this season is to score ten championship points made up of a minimum of one tenth-place finish at each of the ten rounds. My best race result to date is an eighth and if I can better that then great – plus of course you never know what might happen with a reversed grid.”

For George, it will be the first time he has had a team-mate in the BTCC but he believes the move to Marvin Humphries’ Tech-Speed outfit can only be of benefit to his performances.

He added: “This will be my fifth season in the BTCC and while my car from 2009 was a trusty old stead she was 2005-spec so getting quite old. The Tech-Speed Integras are the ex-Eurotech cars from 2008 which have been upgraded again this winter. The difference will be colossal.

“Having a team-mate, particularly one of Paul’s calibre, will be a great experience for me. He’s always going to make for a very good benchmark and to be able to compare data with someone of his ability can only do me good.”

Meanwhile, George’s trip to Finland saw him fly his own plane to Manchester airport from where he boarded a commercial flight to Helsinki.

He said: “I saw Kimi had put it into a tree! Sure, I’ve a few bumps in the BTCC but this weekend I was simply there to do the stages in a pretty basic hire car and work on my left-foot braking. It’s a bit of a dark art but if you can do it well then there is definitely time to be gained. I guess we’ll find out when the season starts…”
    Alex Koda
    Admin

Number of posts : 2503
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Post by Alex Koda on Wed Feb 03 2010, 15:31

Any official final livery's yet? meditate

Eurostc

Number of posts : 1449

Post by Eurostc on Wed Feb 03 2010, 17:24

there are a few like Jordan's

Pirtek

Post by Eurostc on Wed Feb 03 2010, 17:27

also WSR

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 03 2010, 18:16

Forster I think are pretty settled on the Union Jack, although it hasn't been put on the cars yet: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also, AMD have a blog they are updating as they work on the VW:

I think the WSR livery loosk really classy - I hope it stays that way.
    Alex Koda
    Admin

Post by Alex Koda on Wed Feb 03 2010, 19:24

I don't believe that the WSR is the final livery... they had the titles won on the the doors (clearly a test livery) IMO
    Very Happy

Jon

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 03 2010, 21:46

Alex Koda wrote:I don't believe that the WSR is the final livery... they had the titles won on the the doors (clearly a test livery) IMO
    Very Happy

I think the WSR car was white and blue as they are the branding colours of Alvara/ Ceravision, if they get a title sponsor or someone pays them enough the cars will change colour. I think they would look rather good in the WSR Silver/Black they ran the MGs in when they went independent in 2004
    Jon

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 03 2010, 21:49

This story about Alan Blencoe returning has been around for a while now, but even with John George confirmed, Blencoe still still drive the third Techspeed Integra I guess:

Jon

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 03 2010, 23:13

Announcement from Bamboo tomorrow accoring to their twitter, it's tagged with WTCC and BTCC - so possibly a BTCC campaign with selected WTCC outings I presume.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Thu Feb 04 2010, 11:12

Bamboo have announced they are leaving BTCC for WTCC next year for 2 cars, will post a link when I get home, but really surprised as its not as if they were front runners in the BTCC. Strange move as far as I'm concerned. It would have made more sense for them to do a combined BTCC/ ETCC season
    Jon

Post by Jon on Thu Feb 04 2010, 13:34

RML have apparently sold both of the Racing Silverline lacettis, and want to run a pair of Cruze in the BTCC with Plato and Turkington (that's WSR, RML, Bamboo, Proteam and Wiechers he is being linked to).

Sheddon has been turned down from running a TDI LEON as well from what I've seen on other forums.
    Alex Koda
    Admin

Post by Alex Koda on Thu Feb 04 2010, 13:52

So many speculations Rolling Eyes Its always like that or just this year?
    How come the BTCC Champion doesn't have a seat?
    I only read the headlines maybe you guys could answer me (its your home series ) Twisted Evil

Jon

Post by Jon on Thu Feb 04 2010, 14:11

Alex Koda wrote:So many speculations Rolling Eyes Its always like that or just this year?
    How come the BTCC Champion doesn't have a seat?
    I only read the headlines maybe you guys could answer me (its your home series ) Twisted Evil

I think there are 2 or 3 reasons:

I think it is normal for things to be this uncertain, its just that last year Team RAC and Vauxhall had announced their plans early, which meant the top 2 teams already had everything sorted so most of the news last year was about Motorbase/ Tempus/ CVR/ AON and what they were doing.

Last year Turkington was paid by RAC to race, where as this year he is having to find sponsorship himself as WSR have no title sponsor yet so he is still available and there other teams are trying to hire him.

Also the WTCC teams are also looking at him as they need strong line ups to compete again all the WTCC diesels (there could be 7 of them).

I think also Twitter means that rumours are spread much easier, and BTCC Crazy and Touring Car Times are finding these rumours easier.

I would be surprised if Colin isn't with WSR for 2010. WSR and RML are the top 2 teams in the championship and I'm sure there'll be some more sponsors on that car in time for Media Day.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Thu Feb 04 2010, 16:50

Something else in Autosport this week is that Collard looks set to stay with Motorbase, but has however also been in talks about returning to WSR.

The 2 Silverline Lacettis are also for sale in the classifieds - so they haven't been sold yet but RML are trying to get rid of them.

Matt Neal is testing a Synamics Honda Civic at Rockngham next week too
    Alex Koda
    Admin

Post by Alex Koda on Thu Feb 04 2010, 18:15

Thanks for the explanation, Jon Very Happy
    I got a felling (like the Black Eye Peas Razz ) that the original BTWC will comeback this year! :biggrin:

action

Jon

Post by Jon on Thu Feb 04 2010, 21:35

Alex Koda wrote:Thanks for the explanation, Jon Very Happy
    I got a felling (like the Black Eye Peas Razz ) that the original BTWC will comeback this year! :biggrin:

action

Any pictures that I come across I'll start saving then :party :party
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Thu Feb 04 2010, 23:51

RML and Plato maybe doing the WTCC 2010 in the Cruze according to some Twitters.....hope not , I'd like to see him bash doors with Gio again as Triple 8
    are possibly running a Vauxhall with the new turbo motor Very Happy

Post by Jon on Fri Feb 05 2010, 09:16

Eurostc wrote:RML and Plato maybe doing the WTCC 2010 in the Cruze according to some Twitters.....hope not , I'd like to see him bash doors with Gio again as Triple 8
    are possibly running a Vauxhall with the new turbo motor Very Happy

I think its quite safe to say Plato won't be doing WTCC. He's said before that he has no intention of doing WTCC when he's been asked in interviews. Wink Wink

Also, RML/ Chevrolet have said that they would only add a 4th car if Chevrolet Asia gave funding, as Chevrolet Europe aren't prepared to fund more than 3 cars which is why despite the rumours a few months back Giovanardi was never announced for Chevrolet. Wink
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Fri Feb 05 2010, 14:59

Bamboo targets Turkington for WTCC

By Jamie O'Leary Thursday, February 4th 2010, 11:39 GMT

Bamboo Engineering has entered the race to sign Colin Turkington for its new World Touring Car Championship team, today's AUTOSPORT reveals.

The Silverstone-based squad announced today that it has left the British Touring Car Championship to step up to the WTCC with a pair of Chevrolet Lacettis for Harry Vaulkhard and two-time Porsche Carrera Cup Champion Darryl O'Young.

But team principal Richard Coleman is keen to add the BTCC champion to his roster of drivers and could expand the team to three cars to accommodate Turkington.

Post by Eurostc on Fri Feb 05 2010, 15:02

GO TO EARLIER STORY GO TO THE NEWS INDEX GO TO NEXT STORY

Triple Eight close to BTCC return

By Matt James Wednesday, February 3rd 2010, 11:13 GMT

Multiple championship-winning British Touring Car team Triple Eight Race Engineering is nearing a return to the series this season, following Vauxhall's withdrawal from the category last year.

The Northamptonshire-based team fielded Vauxhall's factory cars for 11 seasons and won a total of 14 drivers', manufacturers' and teams' crowns during that period. It was left without a deal when the Luton manufacturer quit the BTCC at the end of 2009.

Team boss Ian Harrison said he is confident of returning to the grid as a private operation this season and admitted he was close to concluding a deal with at least one driver to handle a Vauxhall Vectra fitted with the new two-litre turbocharged TOCA engine.

"We've got the Vectras here and it's a car we know from the ground up because we built it and we have the expertise to get the maximum from it," said Harrison. "We're talking to some serious parties about the 2010 programme already."

Italian Fabrizio Giovanardi took back-to-back titles with the Vauxhall Vectra in 2007 and 2008 and is currently without a drive for the forthcoming season.

Two other privately-run Vectras will appear on the 2010 grid in the hands of Andrew Jordan and David Pinkney.

Post by Jon on Fri Feb 05 2010, 16:15

If Turks is going WTCC racing and its not with WSR I'd rather it was Proteam (or Wiechers). Whilst I hope Bamboo do well, they kind of fell back once they split from Tempus and RML weren't assisting them anymore at the BTCC races last year
    Jon

Post by Jon on Sat Feb 06 2010, 18:20

Read a post on another fourm that some interesting BTCC news could be on its way in the next few days that could change the championship and be good news for most.

I presume its something to do with RML and Chevrolet, as I can't see it being Volvo or Honda. Could be BMW - but something involving Chevrolet and RML would be more likely I guess, especially if it was along the lines of Chevrolet Europe supporting a works/ semi-works team of Chevrolet Cruze cars with Plato in one of the cars.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Tue Feb 09 2010, 15:31

Confirmation of first WSR driver could be on its way maybe?:

"Although not a Fiesta runner, Andy Neate (2006 champ) confirmed his BMW BTCC drive and celebrated by running passenger rides in the BMW track prepared hospitality car."

Also notice the btcc logo on his website:

bearing in mind the Alvara/Ceravision sponsorship on the WSR cars, he definitely wouldn't be with Motorbase and I guess we'll find out soon what is happening with Turks as the deadline for WTCC entry is coming up pretty soon isn't it too.
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Wed Feb 10 2010, 14:36

so is Matt Neal going to be in his dad's team this year ???? :wave2:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18 2017, 16:17