Jon

Number of posts : 528
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Re: BTCC 2011

Post by Jon on Wed Mar 23 2011, 13:19

Now confirmed

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cruzes for O'Neill & George

The tech-speed team has announced it will run a pair of Chevrolet Cruzes for Paul O’Neill and John George in 2011’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

Title sponsorship from mobile phone retailer Go Mobile will see both cars – used by last year’s drivers’ title-winning team RML – running under the GoMobileUK.com with tech-speed banner. Previous title sponsor Sunshine.co.uk also remains onboard as a major team sponsor for 2011.

Marvin Humphries’ popular squad, which debuted in the BTCC as long ago as 1991, heads into the new season on the back of a stunning 2010 campaign, when it continually punched above its weight running older BTC-spec Honda Integras.

A switch to last year’s title-winning Super 2000-specification Cruze gives the team arguably its best chance yet of challenging for a first race win in the championship, particularly in the hands of O’Neill who has established himself as one of the series’ very top names in recent years. Thanks to the continued personal backing from Sunshine.co.uk, the Widnes racer will be at the wheel of the very same Cruze in which Jason Plato achieved his second BTCC drivers’ title last season.

“It’s good to be working with Go Mobile for the year ahead and also to be continuing our relationship with Sunshine.co.uk after the success we have had in recent years,” said Humphries. “It might take us a little while to get used to the new cars, but we are optimistic about our chances for the year ahead and are looking forward to working with RML, who have enjoyed huge success with the Cruze both in Britain and in the World Touring Car Championship.

“It’s too early to say how we will perform during the season until we see where everyone is but, with a proven race-winning car, we hope to be in contention near the front of the field.”

O’Neill, a real 'fans favourites' and looking to add to the two race wins he achieved in the BTCC as a factory Vauxhall driver in 2003, added: “I’m over the moon that the deal has finally been done. In testing, the Chevrolet has been everything I expected from a title-winning car and now I just need to make the most of the time available in the car before we get to Brands Hatch for the season-opener (Sun 3 April).

“There is a lot of potential for us to explore in the Cruze, but this season we have to be targeting consistent top six finishes and race wins. We don’t have the big budgets of some of the top teams when it comes to the overall championship, but there is no doubt that my sights are firmly on fighting for the Independents’ title to reward tech-speed, Go Mobile and Sunshine.co.uk in putting the deal together.”

Both tech-speed-run Cruzes will be seen for the first time in their 2011 Go Mobile livery at tomorrow's BTCC Media Day event at Silverstone.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Wed Mar 23 2011, 13:22

New confirmed cars in red

Confirmed Driver & Teams:

1. West Surrey Racing - Rob Collard
    2. West Surrey Racing - Nick Foster
    3. Airwaves Racing - Mat Jackson
    4. Airwaves Racing - Liam Griffin
    5. Honda Racing - Matt Neal
    6. Honda Racing - Gordon Shedden
    7. Dynojet Racing - Frank Wrathall
    8. Speedworks - Tony Hughes
    9. Chevrolet - Jason Plato
    10. Chevrolet - Alex MacDowell
    11. Pirtek Racing - Andy Jordan
    12. Pirtek Racing - Jeff Smith
    13. Triple Eight Racing Engineering - James Nash
    14. Triple Eight Race Engineering - Tony Gilham
    15. AMD Miltek Racing - Tom Onslow-Cole
    16. Central Group Racing - Lea Wood
    17. Welch Motorsport - Daniel Welch (NGTC Proton from mid-season)
    18. Team ES Racing Lacetti - Chris James
    19. Arena/ Team AON - Tom Chilton
    20. Arena/ Team Aon - Andy Neate
    21. Special Tuning - Tom Boardman
    22. Geoff Steel Racing - Dave Newsham
    23. Techspeed - Paul O'Neill
    24. Techspeed - John George
    25. Rob Austin Racing - David Pinkney

Awaiting Driver Confirmation/ possible cars:

22. Forster Motorsport - Arthur Forster
    23. Forster Motorsport - Martin Depper
    24. Arena Motorsport - Phil Glew (3rd car)
    25. Special Tuning Racing - TBA
    26. Special Tuning Racing - TBA
    27. Rob Austin Racing - TBA
    28. bamboo Engineering - Harry Vaulkhard
    29. bamboo Engineering - TBA
    30. West Surrey Racing - Colin Turkington (part season)
    31. Geoff Steel Racing BMW - TBA

Other rumours from the web:

1. Nick Leason - NGTC spec car
    2. Rob Hedley - NGTC spec car
    3. James Kaye - had intended to return this year
    4. Martin Johnson - has sold Vauxhall Astra
    5. Matt Hamilton - had hoped to return, things seem to have gone quiet (has said unlikely to happen now)
    6. Third RML Cruze
    7. Clyde Valley Racing - hmmmmm

Last edited by Jon on Wed Mar 23 2011, 13:57; edited 1 time in total
    Eurostc

Number of posts : 1449
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Post by Eurostc on Wed Mar 23 2011, 13:32

Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Number of posts : 2503

Post by Alex Koda on Wed Mar 23 2011, 13:35

Ouch!!!! affraid Suspect Very Happy

PetraGTC

Number of posts : 174
    Registration date : 2008-11-30

Post by PetraGTC on Wed Mar 23 2011, 16:17

Holy (liqui) moly Shocked Laughing
    MM

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2009-10-12

Post by MM on Wed Mar 23 2011, 16:29

ugly fugly livery
    mardionu

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2008-12-25

Post by mardionu on Wed Mar 23 2011, 17:35

MM wrote:ugly fugly livery

agree
    Jon

Post by Jon on Wed Mar 23 2011, 17:52

I didn't think anyone would be able to outdo Motorbase with an ugly livery - but that does it.

Actually the Motorbase one looks a bit better with a few extra sponsors on it.

Rather strange rumour going around that Thorney Motorport will announce a 2 car team tomorrow. I say strange because they will supposedly announce 2 Vauxhalls - but all of the VXR Vectra shells are accounted for - 2 for 888 and 2 for Pirtek so unless this is a pair of NGTC Vauxhalls I can't see it being real and even if they wanted to, there are no BTC spec Vauxhall shells that can be entered this year so teh only option would be new NGTC.
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Wed Mar 23 2011, 18:38

nothing on the facebook page yet..........even though the question has been asked....

Post by Jon on Wed Mar 23 2011, 18:54

Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Fri Mar 25 2011, 04:28

The entry list for the 2011 season was revealed at the championship's Media Day held at Silverstone on 24 March 2011.[2]

Team Car Specification # Drivers Class
    Car Engine
    Silverline Chevrolet Chevrolet Cruze LT S2000 S2000 1 Jason Plato C
    20 Alex MacDowall C
    Honda Racing Team Honda Civic S2000 NGTC 2 Matt Neal C
    52 Gordon Shedden C
    Team Aon Ford Focus S2000 NGTC 5 Tom Chilton CI
    44 Andy Neate CI
    TBA TBA CI
    Airwaves Racing Ford Focus ST S2000 NGTC 7 Mat Jackson I
    66 Liam Griffin I
    West Surrey Racing BMW 320si S2000 S2000 8 Rob Collard I
    18 Nick Foster I
    Dynojet Toyota Avensis NGTC NGTC 11 Frank Wrathall I
    Rob Austin Racing Audi A4 NGTC NGTC 12 David Pinkney I
    13 TBA I
    Triple Eight Racing
    with Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra S2000 NGTC 14 James Nash I
    34 Tony Gilham I
    Geoff Steel Racing BMW 320si S2000 S2000 17 Dave Newsham I
    Special Tuning Racing SEAT León S2000 NGTC 22 Tom Boardman I
    GoMobileUK.com
    with Tech-Speed Chevrolet Cruze LT S2000 S2000 28 John George I
    29 Paul O'Neill I
    Welch Motorsport Proton Gen-2 NGTC NGTC 42 Daniel Welch I
    Team Wood Racing Honda Integra Type-R BTC-T BTC-T 43 Lea Wood I
    Speedworks Motorsport Toyota Avensis NGTC NGTC 50 Tony Hughes I
    Pirtek Racing Vauxhall Vectra S2000 NGTC 55 Jeff Smith I
    77 Andrew Jordan I
    Team ES Racing Chevrolet Lacetti S2000 S2000 78 Chris James I
    AmD Milltek Racing
    with YourRacingCar Volkswagen Golf S2000 NGTC 99 Tom Onslow-Cole

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2011-03-31

Post by racingmania on Thu Mar 31 2011, 07:56

I visited your site & after visiting i found that it is very informational for everyone you have done really a great job thank you .
    ----------------------------
    toyota racing
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Thu Mar 31 2011, 13:09

:wave2:

Post by Jon on Thu Mar 31 2011, 13:55

Possible second Special Tuning Leon for Brands Hatch it seems:

We've acquired various spaces on 2 BTCC cars for our LeonOC.com stickers. One of which will be driven by SEAT's Director Peter!

@racingmania - welcome to the forum cheers
    Jon

Post by Jon on Thu Mar 31 2011, 17:23

Seen it being mentioned for quite a while now, but Giovamardi could be making a comeback in the second Audi - he's been linked to the seat and there is some sort of PR company trying to get sponsorship for him.

Also, according to Touring Car Times, WSR are still intending to get Colin Turkington out for some reaces this year too
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Thu Mar 31 2011, 22:29

saw the PR company stuff for him and maybe a big sponsor could see him
    in that car...and I actually think he could be a challenger Smile

Post by Jon on Thu Mar 31 2011, 22:46

It would be a big talking point for the BTCC, the NGTC regulations and RAR if it happened. Supposedly N-Technology aren't doing anything this year, so it's pretty unlikely Fabrizio will be racing in Superstars for them, and he only has one race confirmed this year. I agree Marc - especially after the mid-season break and the testing they are allowed during that time, really think they could be very strong towards the end of the year if they get Gio on board.

From the RAR facebook earlier tonight:

"Still working hard!"

"Thanks guys. We are still hard at it and it looks like it will be a late one!"

"Re- second driver, we cant say a word, it really is top secret! All I can say is he's very fast!"

Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Fri Apr 01 2011, 22:13

Jason Plato voted best touring car driver of 2010
    Reigning BTCC champion Jason Plato was voted the best touring car driver in the world in 2010 by readers of TouringCarTimes, and Chevrolet's No.1 driver was delighted to collect his award at Silverstone last week.
    The two-time champion went head to head with former BTCC arch-rival Yvan Muller in the vote, along with top Swede Robert Dahlgren and DTM star Paul Di Resta, to come out on top beating Yvan Muller by just 1% in the final reckoning.

Receiving his award during the test at Silverstone, Jason said:
    "This is a really nice surprise, especially that it's a vote, that makes it all the more special because it's not just on lap times and all those techy boring things really, it's about peoples feelings and that's really nice, I'm quite touched with that."

WTCC champion Yvan Muller received 33% of the vote, with former DTM now Formula 1 driver Paul di Resta third with 23%.

Robert Dahlgren, who beat the overall STCC champion Richard Goransson in the STCC heat picked up 10% of the vote.

I think this shows that he has changed and the fans have noticed Smile

plus he's from Oxford !!!! cheers

Post by Eurostc on Fri Apr 01 2011, 22:14

Brands Hatch is where it all starts
    The 2011 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship kicks off at the Brands Hatch Indy circuit this weekend, with the second phase of the Next Generation Touring Car introduced with the first race cars in competition.
    23 cars are expected to be at the first round of the season, with a last minute surprise or two still possible. The official entry list of 27 will be realised by Snetterton, when Daniel Welch joins the series with his NGTC Proton Gen-2, with Bamboo Engineering still looking to join later in the season with a Lacetti for Harry Vaulkhard.

For the first race, all eyes will be on TOCA's new formula for the future, the three Next Generation Touring Cars (NGTC) which are run by three new teams: Speedworks Motorsport, Dynojet Racing and Rob Austin Racing. All will field different packages; Speedworks will run a Toyota Avensis with the TOCA Engine built by Swindon; Dynojet will field an Avensis with a custom built Toyota engine by X CTech R and Rob Austin Racing will run a rear-wheel drive Audi A4 with an engine developed by Ric Wood based on an Audi TFSI engine.

With limited (or no) time for all of these teams to test, those eyes will likely have to look around the back of the grid at least for this weekend whilst the cars work through their development cycle on the track.

In testing, the tried and tested packages were looking good, with the Swindon Racing engine going into its second year powering the venerable Vauxhall Vectras of Team Eurotech and now Triple Eight Race Engineering. The two Vauxhalls of Andrew Jordan and James Nash were on top of the timesheets at the media day test session last week.

Post by Eurostc on Sat Apr 02 2011, 13:11

Shedden will miss season opener at Brands Hatch
    Gordon Shedden's championship ambitions have taken a massive hit, with the Scottish driver's Honda Civic written-off after a heavy crash at Brands Hatch in the first free practice session.
    A tyre failure heading into the fast Paddock Hill bend spun the Honda Civic out, causing the session to be red flagged as last year's championship winning car was recovered from the gravel trap.

Team Principal Steve Neal confirmed that the car was not able to be repaired, and the team will have to look into other options to rescue Shedden's 2011 championship campaign.

Neal confirmed the new engine was likely a factor in the failure, with the team racing for the first time with the new NGTC-specification engine, which is 30kg heavier than the previous S2000 engine.

Post by Jon on Sat Apr 02 2011, 20:33

Jon

Post by Jon on Sat Apr 02 2011, 20:35

Shedden to start from the back, seems car will be repaired now. Will be surprised in any og the BMWs manage a podium this year, they are really struggling.

Matt Neal stormed to pole position for the British Touring Car Championship opener at Brands Hatch in his Honda Racing Civic this afternoon.

The double champion's best time in the first half of the session was good enough for pole, but he improved later to top the grid for tomorrow's race with a 48.210s effort.

"I've been Mr Glum all morning, but we managed to get a good qualifying run," said the Team Dynamics driver, who is running the Neil Brown-prepared turbo engine in his Civic for the first time.

Andrew Jordan, who set the pace throughout free practice in his Eurotech Racing Vauxhall Vectra, will join Neal on the front row. He recorded a 48.465s in the TOCA-engined machine.

Reigning champion Jason Plato pushed hard in his RML-run Chevrolet Cruze, almost going off at Clearways, and took third with less than three minutes to go. He was almost 0.4 seconds away from Neal's time.

Alex MacDowall looked set join his team-mate on the second row, but was pipped on the last lap by Triple 8 Engineering driver James Nash.

Mat Jackson made it four marques and five teams in the top six with a late 48.667s effort in his Motorbase Performance Ford Focus.

Arena Motorsport Ford Focus driver Tom Chilton set a time good enough for second in the first half of the session, but his 48.384s effort was disallowed when he failed a ride height check.

The team worked hard to rectify the problem and Chilton returned to the track for the final eight minutes. He managed a best of 48.668s to take seventh, just ahead of Tom Boardman's Special Tuning SEAT Leon.

Frank Wrathall was the fastest of the new NGTC machines, taking 20th in his Dynojet Toyota Avensis. David Pinkney's NGTC Audi A4 did not emerge from the Rob Austin Racing garage to qualify.

Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
    1. Matt Neal Honda 48.210s
    2. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Vauxhall 48.465s + 0.255s
    3. Jason Plato Chevrolet 48.583s + 0.373s
    4. James Nash Triple 8 Vauxhall 48.623s + 0.413s
    5. Alex MacDowall Chevrolet 48.658s + 0.448s
    6. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 48.667s + 0.457s
    7. Tom Chilton Arena Ford 48.668s + 0.458s
    8. Tom Boardman Special Tuning SEAT 48.752s + 0.542s
    9. Paul O'Neill Tech-Speed Chevrolet 48.849s + 0.639s
    10. Andy Neate Arena Ford 49.036s + 0.826s
    11. Tony Gilham Triple 8 Vauxhall 49.045s + 0.835s
    12. Rob Collard WSR BMW 49.130s + 0.920s
    13. Jeff Smith Eurotech Vauxhall 49.176s + 0.966s
    14. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 49.220s + 1.010s
    15. Dave Newsham Geoff Steel BMW 49.248s + 1.038s
    16. Tom Onslow-Cole AmD Volkswagen 49.540s + 1.330s
    17. Nick Foster WSR BMW 49.587s + 1.377s
    18. John George Tech-Speed Chevrolet 50.065s + 1.855s
    19. Chris James ES Chevrolet 51.169s + 2.959s
    20. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 51.449s + 3.239s
    21. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota 51.736s + 3.526s
    22. Gordon Shedden Honda
    23. Dave Pinkney Ron Austin Racing To start from pitlane
    Jon

Post by Jon on Sun Apr 03 2011, 08:08

Well it seems like we will have the full starting list of 23, Dynamics have rebuilt Shedden's car, it's just waiting for the sponsor stickers to go on it, and the replacememnt part for the Audi arrived at 5am this morning after a 250 mile dash down the motorway.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Sun Apr 03 2011, 20:37

Overall decent racing today, Shedden was being wreckless in the first race though.

Was shocked at the speed of the turbo cars in a straight line - they seemed considerably faster than Jordan and Pinkney were last year, I think we can expect RML. WSR, GSR and Techspeed to start commenting on the speed difference within the next few days (although I can't see them ever being happy as the speed difference seems huge). Great drives by Nash, Plato and Jackson.

The Arena Fords were not as competative as I expected, felt sorry for Andy Jordan and the full NGTC cars, hope the Toyotas and Audis have a better time of it at Donington.

The Cruzes may be struggling, but the BMWs are really in trouble unless something changes for them quickly, as they are going to struggle even more everywhere else, great to have the BTCC back tho!

Jon

Post by Jon on Mon Apr 11 2011, 18:34

Thorney Motorsport to enter Vauxhall Insignia

Milton Keynes based team Thorney Motorsport have announced their intention to enter the BTCC at the 2011 season finale with a pair of NGTC-specification Vauxhall Insignias.
    The team have been close to entering the series before, most recently they were planning to enter the 2010 championship with a pair of BTC-specification Astra Sport Hatches.

"Its been a dream of mine for many years to run in the BTCC," said Team Principal John Thorne.

"We've come close in the last two years but for a variety of reasons we didn't make it, this time we are definite!"

The team have regularly run Vauxhalls in the Dunlop Sport Maxx production car championship, as well as a BMW M3 under the banner of Tesco Momentum 99 Racing in the Britcar Endurance Championship.

Thorne's company runs a tuning business for Lotus, Ford, Vauxhall and BMW owners as well as a successful racing business, and is now ready to join the big league with the BTCC entry late this season.

"The Insignia is going to be a challenge, it's a big chassis and we know that weight will be an issue initially but the size is also to our benefit. The width of the shell is such that we won't need to resort to huge wheel arch extensions which whilst looking good don't do you any favours in terms of aerodynamics"

The team's realistic goal is to appear at the final round of the season at the Silverstone National circuit, but Thorne says the team might appear earlier.

The team plan to show the development of the car in a blog on the team's official website which you can visit here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18 2017, 01:22