Motorsport passion

BTCC 2011

Jon

Number of posts : 528
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Re: BTCC 2011

Post by Jon on Wed Jun 29 2011, 19:30

Anyone else seen the cryptic messages GSR are posting on various social media sites?

Sounds like we have a turbocharged bmw on the way, and the return of another S2000 engined beemer on the way
    Eurostc

Number of posts : 1449
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Post by Eurostc on Thu Jun 30 2011, 00:24

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Post by Eurostc on Fri Jul 08 2011, 15:02

Byford for AmD Golf
    AmD Milltek.com has named Martin Byford as its new driver for the remainder of the 2011 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship season.

Byford, from Colchester, will make his BTCC debut in the outfit’s VW Golf at his home circuit of Snetterton in just over four weeks’ time (6-7 August) with sponsorship from personal backer Eurocell as well as team partners AmD, Milltek and Tesco Momentum 99.

The 39-year-old has an excellent reputation in the BTCC’s supporting categories. He was a front-runner in the Renault Clio Cup as long ago as 2002 and won the crown in 2007. He was also a title protagonist in the SEAT Cupra series.

Byford told btcc.net: “Firstly, a big thanks to all those sponsors for putting their faith in me. It’s the opportunity I was looking for some years ago when I was scrapping in Clios and SEATs. When the chance to drive his Golf came up I put everything into making it work – it’s been well documented he had a lot of enquiries so to be ‘the chosen one’ is good for the confidence!”

Post by Eurostc on Fri Jul 15 2011, 23:36

GSR to run turbo BMW
    Geoff Steel Racing is in the final stages of fitting a turbocharged NGTC-spec engine to its second BMW 320si chassis.

The Lincolnshire-based outfit contested the opening two rounds of the 2011 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship with reigning Renault Clio Cup GB champion Dave Newsham behind the wheel of its naturally aspirated BMW. However, the team has worked on developing a turbocharged version of the car to take them through the 2012 season.

And Geoff Steel team manager, Martyn Bell told btcc.net: “Development of the turbocharged BMW is well underway and we’re still on schedule. When we took delivery of the ex-Motorbase cars we had a plan and we’ve only deviated from that by missing three rounds of the championship.

“We had hoped to run a naturally aspirated BMW throughout the season until the NGTC-engined car was ready. We’ve been working closely with series organiser TOCA and the advice and support we’ve received has been brilliant. It has been like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, but we almost have the NGTC engine fitted and I think we’re about two-weeks from taking the car out on track.

GSR plans to run its non-turbo BMW for the next three rounds, starting with Snetterton on 6-7 August. It then hopes to switch to the NGTC-engined car for the final two meetings of the year at Brands Hatch and Silverstone.

However, Bell is not yet in a position to reveal who will drive for the team during the five remaining rounds of the season, saying: “We’re not ready to name our driver because we’re still in strong negotiations with two candidates, but we’d like to hear from other people who are interested until a deal is done.”

Post by Eurostc on Fri Jul 15 2011, 23:37

Byford, Adam in Brands test
    Martin Byford tests the AmD Milltek Racing.com VW Golf for the first time at Brands Hatch today, one week after being named as the team’s driver.

The Colchester racer took the opportunity to acquaint himself with the turbocharged Golf, before making his debut in the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship at his home circuit of Snetterton in just over three weeks time.

Byford, crowned Renault Clio Cup champion in 2007, told btcc.net: “We only completed four 30-minute stints, but we’ve had a good day. I used my first session to find my feet in the car. We then worked on set-ups and by the end of the day I felt comfortable.

“It’s not hugely different to what I’m used to and I think we’ve made some good progress. We had a good little program to work through and, from now on it’s just a case of watching the time tick away before the next round.

“As far as Snetterton’s concerned, I need to get three good races under my belt. Scoring points is obviously the long-term goal, but I’ve got a huge amount to learn and the last thing you do is underestimate your competition.”

Meanwhile, Airwaves Racing was also in attendance at the Kent circuit, with BTCC title protagonist Mat Jackson and ex-Motorbase BMW driver Jonny Adam testing new parts on the Wrotham-based team’s turbocharged Ford Focus STs.

Airwaves Racing team principal, David Bartrum told btcc.net: “We’ve had a good day at Brands Hatch and Jonny Adam was here to help Mat get through our testing programme. Would we like to get Jonny in the car? Yes we would. But these things are difficult to achieve, so it’s ‘work in progress’.

“All in all I enjoyed the day. We were hoping to run three cars, but a parts issue with the gearbox prevented us from doing that. But it has been very busy here, with lots of stuff to work through and everything went to plan.”

Post by Eurostc on Wed Jul 27 2011, 13:54

The UK's best-selling automotive weekly Auto Express ran the news of Matt Hamilton's BTCC return in 2012 with a turbocharged NGTC-spec Skoda Octavia vRS. See p96 of this week's issue , out today

Post by Eurostc on Thu Aug 04 2011, 00:22

Battle resumes at the 'Snetterton 300'
    The British Touring Car Championship visits its first new circuit layout this weekend in Norfolk, for the new configuration of Snetterton with the 3-mile '300' layout. After a two month summer break, the very close 2011 season gets underway again.
    After the last round of the championship at Croft way back in June, Honda Racing Team's Matt Neal went into the mid-season break with the lead of the championship as he did last year, which is now just nine points over the Motorbase Performance Ford driver Mat Jackson. Jackson also has a 15 point lead over Andrew Jordan in the BTCC's independents' standings.

Reigning champion Jason Plato has it all to do to try and catch Neal, 40 points back with a maximum 52 points available from the weekend. The Silverline Chevrolet driver is currently in sixth place in the standings and is the best placed normally aspirated Super 2000 driver.

Post by Jon on Sat Aug 27 2011, 01:44

Swanick confirmed in the second Audi for Brands Hatch and Silverstone:

Also RAR have said the car could be at Knockhill and Rockingham

Also, I think we're going to get an announcement from Geoff Steel over the weekend, judging by their cryptic messages on Twitter, possibly driver announcement or confirmation that someone is going to be out testing their car
    Jon

Post by Jon on Sat Aug 27 2011, 16:30

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Car being stickered up now and tweeting pictures, can't work anything out so far
    Jon

Post by Jon on Tue Sep 06 2011, 19:07

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tony Gillham is back with Geoff Steel Racing

Tony Gillham is planning to return for the final three races of the British Touring Car Championship 2011. The former Triple Eight driver is going to drive a BMW for Geoff Steel Racing.
    "I'm delighted I'm coming back," said Gillham.
    "Once you've done the BTCC you don't want to do anything else really. I'm just opening my own garage under the Tony Gilham brand in Kent and that has led to some great new sponsors who want to build their image as well – the BTCC is the right place to do that," said Gillham.

Gillham is going to drive BMW 320si with a normally aspirated engine for the coming races at Rockingham while the team is planning to equip the car with an NGTC engine for the final two races at Brands Hatch and Silverstone.

"Tony's car at Rockingham will remain normally-aspirated but will then switch to the Next Generation Touring Car turbo engine for Brands Hatch and Silverstone - turbo-charging is the way forward and we'd actually very much like to run both cars with turbo engines at the last two rounds to showcase them for 2012," said team manager Martyn Bell.

Geoff Steel Racing took part in the first two rounds of the year with driver David Newsham. But the team has not raced since then after Newsham left for rival BTCC team Special Tuning Racing.

Jon

Post by Jon on Tue Sep 06 2011, 21:21

Sounds like the third Airwaves Focus will be out for Rockingham, racing number will be #6 but it won't be Steven Kane driving it, he's allowed Motorbase to use the number according to Dave Bartrum
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Thu Sep 29 2011, 14:06

Grid hits equal high
    A record-equalling 29-car grid is set to contest this weekend’s (1-2 October) Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship round on the Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit in Kent.

The 888 Racing with Collins Contractors team has this morning announced that Oliver Jackson will race its second Vauxhall Vectra for the season’s final two rounds at Brands Hatch and Silverstone (15-16 Oct).

Jackson, aged 27 from Reigate in Surrey and who in recent years has competed in a variety of GT and sportscar categories including the BTCC-supporting Porsche Carrera Cup, tested 888’s Vectra at Brands earlier this week.

Meanwhile, at just 17 years of age Nottingham’s Chris Swanwick will also make his BTCC debut this weekend in a second Rob Austin Racing Audi A4 – taking the number of cars entered for the event to 29. Only once since the BTCC’s switch in 1991 to an all two-litre formula have numbers been so high – which was the supporting race at the British F1 Grand Prix in 1993 at Silverstone.

Notably, Swanwick’s arrival will mean the grid will include five of the latest Next Generation Touring Car type machines – two Audis (Rob Austin Racing), two Toyota Avensis (Dynojet and Speedworks) and one Proton Gen-2 (Welch Automotive) – that will become 'de rigeur' in the next few seasons.

In recent rounds Rob Austin’s Audi and Frank Wrathall’s Dynojet Toyota, both developed from new at the start of the season, have become a major force with a variety of top three qualifying positions, fastest laps and outright podium results. Already the factory Honda Racing Team, with its new Civic model, plus the 888 and Pirtek Racing squads have confirmed they will be making the switch to full NGTC-specification cars for 2012’s BTCC.

BTCC Series Director Alan Gow commented: “To be going into our penultimate round with this record-sized grid, in such difficult economic times, demonstrates yet again the BTCC’s appeal and unrivalled ability to provide sponsors with by far the biggest ‘bang for their buck’ of any motor racing championship in the UK.”

Meanwhile heading to Brands Hatch this weekend (1-2 Oct), seven drivers can still win the 2011 BTCC title. Honda Racing team-mates Matt Neal and Gordon Shedden will arrive there tied for the championship lead followed by Jason Plato (Silverline Chevrolet Cruze), Mat Jackson (Airwaves Racing Ford Focus), James Nash (888/Collins Vectra), Andrew Jordan (Pirtek Vectra) and Robert Collard (WSR BMW). Some 102 points cover them with a possible maximum of 104 still up for grabs – 52 apiece from Brands Hatch’s three races and then Silverstone’s ‘triple-header’ title showdown a fortnight later (15-16 October).

Post by Eurostc on Tue Oct 11 2011, 12:48

Q&A with Alan Gow, BTCC Series Director
    Q: Coming into the final round of the season, five drivers in four different makes of car racing for four different teams can all win the championship. The top three are covered by just five points. What does this say about the championship and what sort of a weekend are the fans in for at Silverstone?

A:“It simply underlines how bloody tough this championship is! The BTCC very rarely fails to deliver a closely fought season; in fact every championship for the last ten years has been decided at the last event.

“But this year has taken it to a whole new level… certainly in at least the last 20 years we’ve never had the top three covered by just five points going into the final round. So to the fans I would suggest that if you can’t get to Silverstone then make sure you stay glued to ITV4 on Sunday… it’s going to be a cracker!”

Q:The 2011 grid has featured a mixture of front and rear-wheel-driven normally aspirated S2000-spec cars, S2000 cars using NGTC-spec turbo engines and the new fully blown NGTC cars. How difficult has it been to achieve parity in what has been a transitional year and, for those of us on the outside, how have you arrived at certain conclusions (eg. reduction in turbo boost levels, additional weight for turbocharged cars)?

A:"I’m really proud of the job we have done in delivering the performance equivalency through the season – quite obviously if we hadn’t got it right, would the championship be this close?! Of course not.

“It’s important to remember that we actually know exactly what every car and driver is doing every second of every lap. Nobody else on this planet has access to the huge amount of data which we download and compare from every car every time they run. So it’s not guesswork.

“Although I must admit it’s been slightly amusing sometimes hearing, throughout the year, the ‘conspiracy theorists’ and ‘armchair-experts’ (from some of the media and fans alike) who seem to know more about equalising the cars than we do… but thank heavens we don’t operate at their level of ‘expertise’.

“At the beginning of the season we said we would equalise the performance between the top two types of cars, which this year proved to be the Honda and the Chevrolet. And of course different circuits and different track conditions suit different cars, different drivers and different set-ups. As well, the cars have continually been developing throughout the year – which is why we said, right from the outset, that we would make frequent tweaks throughout the season.

“Every team and driver has their own ‘coulda, woulda, shoulda’ stories, when some of their race results have been affected by other issues. That’s precisely why one has to look at it over the season, not just one race or one race meeting or in isolation of all other factors.

“But the numbers don’t lie; after 27 races, totalling 489 laps around nine different circuits there’s a mere five points difference between the top two types of car – so if that’s not performance parity then I’m damned if I know what is…!"

Q: There looks set to be a proliferation of NGTC-spec cars for 2012. Four teams have already fielded them in 2011 and now the factory Honda Racing Team plus leading privateers Triple Eight Race Engineering and Pirtek Racing have announced they will take this route for 2012. Others are also making serious noises about switching to this new breed of car for next season – surely vindicating TOCA’s decision to take the BTCC in this direction?

A:“There’s a lot more than ‘serious noises’ coming from other teams. But I would guess that around half the grid next year will be NGTC cars – and that’s not only impressive validation of the new regulations but also a ringing endorsement of the BTCC itself and the commitment teams are making to the championship.

“Just look at our grid numbers, our TV audiences and our spectator numbers – all of them are reaching fantastic new highs. We must be doing something right…”

Post by Eurostc on Tue Oct 11 2011, 12:48

An unprecedented five drivers – Matt Neal, Jason Plato, Gordon Shedden, Mat Jackson and James Nash – in four different makes of car will go into the event still able to lift the most famous crown in British motor sport.

Notably, out of 27 races to date, eight different drivers – two of them for the first time – have tasted the victory champagne. Another seven have achieved top three results, meaning half the grid has at some point stood on the BTCC podium in 2011. Nine different models of car have also set fastest race laps. The following statistics make for interesting reading:

Race Wins
    8 Jason Plato
    6 Matt Neal
    5 Gordon Shedden
    4 Mat Jackson
    1 James Nash, Andrew Jordan, Tom Chilton, Tom Boardman

Pole Positions
    4 Plato
    2 Shedden & Neal
    1 Chilton

Fastest Laps
    6 Neal
    5 Plato & Jackson
    2 Shedden & Frank Wrathall
    1 Nash, Boardman, Chilton, Alex MacDowall, Dave Newsham, Robert Collard, Rob Austin

Non-scores (title protagonists)
    7 Plato & Jackson
    5 Neal
    4 Shedden
    3 Nash

Post by Eurostc on Thu Oct 13 2011, 00:10

Thompson warns Airwaves rivals
    James Thompson hopes to be in the thick of the action in Sunday’s (16 Oct) Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship title-decider at Silverstone following his first test in Airwaves Racing’s Ford Focus today.

Thompson, who won the BTCC title in 2002 and 2004, is being drafted into the squad to assist Mat Jackson’s title bid. Jackson has an outside chance of lifting the outright BTCC crown and is also firmly in the hunt for the Independents Trophy as is Airwaves the Independent Teams Championship.

Yorkshireman Thompson, who has not raced full-time in the BTCC since the end of 2004, got to grips with the Airwaves Focus at Brands Hatch today and told btcc.net: “It’s been a really good, productive test and we’ve made some changes to the car so it’s more to my driving style.

“I’ve really enjoyed the day and it’s got me fired up with even more enthusiasm for the weekend. I came to Rockingham a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, especially seeing so many fans again. Who knows for the future…”

The 37-year-old from Leeds added: “It’s never easy coming in for just one round but I hope to be right in the thick of the action. It’s pretty clear what my job is for Airwaves and, while I don’t want to ruin what the other guys have built up over the season, they need to be mindful of me.

“I’m certainly not going to wave them past. I’m going to race hard but fair like I always do and try and put on a show for the fans.”

Thompson also reacted with amusement when told of some of the nicknames that his long locks and beard have earned him – ‘D’Artganan’ (as in The Three Musketeers) by Airwaves team boss David Bartrum, ‘pirate’ by btcc.net forum members and ‘Johnny Depp’ by fans on the BTCC’s official Facebook page

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22 2017, 08:18