Motorsport passion

BTCC 2011

Jon

Number of posts : 528
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Re: BTCC 2011

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 09 2011, 16:26

3. Triple Eight to return with James Nash and a second driver to be confirmed (possibly Tony Gilham?):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nash sticking with Triple 8

James Nash will remain with Triple 8 Engineering for this year's British Touring Car Championship.

Nash, 25, will again drive one of the multiple championship-winning team's Vauxhall Vectras, which have been converted to run the TOCA turbocharged engine.

"I've never stayed with a team for a second season in all the years I've been racing," Nash told AUTOSPORT. "But Triple 8 is such a strong team, it was a no-brainer.

"The switch to the turbo engine will really benefit us. We were down on straightline speed compared to the Eurotech and Pinkney Vectras last year, but I've been told the turbo engine is worth about 15bhp on the S2000, which is very encouraging.

"I'm aiming for consistent top six finishes in the races and top six in the championship, and of course I'd like to win one."

Nash joined Triple 8 in time for the second round of last year's championship, and took a podium finish at Oulton Park on his way to 12th in the points.

Triple 8 chairman Ian Harrison confirmed to AUTOSPORT that the squad would run two Vectras this year and that he was close to signing a team-mate for Nash.

"James is a really talented driver and I think we only scratched the surface with him last year," Harrison said. "I'm delighted he's chosen to stay with us."
    Jon

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 09 2011, 16:30

Runners & Riders

Green = S2000 Car & Engine
    Blue = S2000 Car & NGTC Engine
    Red = NGTC Car & Engine
    Orange = BTC Spec

Confirmed:

1. Jason Plato - Chevrolet Cruze
    2. Shaun Hollemby - AMD Milltek VW Golf
    3. Matt Neal - Honda Racing
    4. Gordon Shedden - Honda Racing
    5. Matt Jackson - Airwaves Racing Ford
    6. Liam Griffin - Airwaves Racing Ford

7. Tony Hughes - Speedworks Toyota Avensis
    8. Frank Wrathall - Dynojet Toyota Avensis

9. Arthur Forster - Forster Motorsport BMW
    10. Martin Depper - Forster Motorsport (will start with BMW, wants to sell and buy FWD car.)

11. Jeff Smith - Pirtek Racing Vectra
    12. Andy Jordan - Pirtek Racing Vectra

13. TBA Chevrolet Cruze (MacDowell?)

14. TBA Arena Motorsport Ford (Chilton?)
    15. TBA Arena Motorsport (Andy Neate?)

16. TBA Rob Austin Racing Audi
    17. TBA Rob Austing Racing Audi

18. TBA Special Tuning Racing SEAT (Boardman?)
    19. TBA Special Tuning Racing SEAT
    20. TBA Special Tuning Racing SEAT (Believed to have 3 drivers signed)

21. TBA WSR BMW - Collard??
    22. TBA. WSR BMW

23. James Nash 888 Vauxhall Vectra
    24. TBA 888 Vauxhall Vectra (Tony Gilham?)

25. Lea Wood - Central Group BTC Integra

Rumours:

26. TBA Chevrolet Cruze (3rd car possible)
    27. TBA WSR BMW (3rd car possible - part season for Turkington?)

28. TBA Airwaves Racing Ford (Tom Onslow-Cole been rumoured)
    29. TBA Arena Motorsport Ford

30. TBA Speedworks Toyota Avensis
    31. TBA Sunshine/ Techspeed (Paul O'Neill - Civic?)
    32. TBA Sunshine/ Techspeed (Civic?)

33. Dan Welch - Welch Motorsport (NGTC Spec car?)

Other rumours:

4th Special Tuning Leon
    Matt Hamilton
    James Kaye?
    Martin Johnson?

Last edited by Jon on Sat Feb 12 2011, 22:00; edited 1 time in total
    Eurostc

Number of posts : 1449
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Post by Eurostc on Thu Feb 10 2011, 16:02

"""""Flash Engineering signs Colin Turkington for STCC """"""

wow Thompson and Turkington......!

Post by Eurostc on Mon Feb 14 2011, 04:33

NGTC Toyota and Pirtek Vauxhall testing at Brands
    The NGTC Toyota Avensis prototype was present at Brands Hatch yesterday alongside the NGTC engined Vauxhall Vectra of Pirtek Racing.
    "The TOCA engine has had more development on it over the winter and everything feels really good straight out of the blocks," said Pirtek-driver Andrew Jordan to btcc.net.
    Jordan is running the S2000 specification Vauxhall Vectra with the NGTC engine, just as last season.

"Already our lap times are looking good compared to what we achieved around here last year and that’s before we’ve even got started on chassis tweaks," said Jordan.

The NGTC Toyota Avensis completed many laps with Matt Griffin behind the wheel, testing out the durability of various new components in the car.

Two teams are going to run the NGTC Toyota this year, Speedworks Motorsport and Dynojet Race Team.

Wink

Post by Eurostc on Tue Feb 15 2011, 13:59

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

not the pretiest scheme.....

Post by Eurostc on Tue Feb 15 2011, 14:01

maybe a Proton showing up as well.........#27 - NGTC Proton - Welch Motorsport - Dan Welch

Post by Jon on Tue Feb 15 2011, 19:38

I wonder what Alex will think of that paint scheme - considering he's been less than impressed with the last 2 Motorbase efforts on the Beemer :biggrin:

Didn't look quite so bad with a few extra sponsors on it this afternoon, but still not great:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Alex Koda
    Admin

Number of posts : 2503

Post by Alex Koda on Tue Feb 15 2011, 21:06

Jon wrote:I wonder what Alex will think of that paint scheme - considering he's been less than impressed with the last 2 Motorbase efforts on the Beemer :biggrin:

Didn't look quite so bad with a few extra sponsors on it this afternoon, but still not great:

affraid

honestly? horrible!!!
    I'm not an expert but... if you sign a sponsor that the main colors are green and blue, I definitely wouldn't choose red as base.

drunken

Jon

Post by Jon on Tue Feb 15 2011, 21:29

Actually to be fair to Motorbase - I thought their 2010 livery looked rubbish, but when I went to Brands Hatch last October, it looked quite smart in real life with all the LTi and other sponsor logos on the cars that they had for the final round. It looked a mess at the start of the year when they had very few sponsor logos on it.

If they had gone with the Airwaves red (which is a dark red) I would understand, but they have gone with the same red that fire engines use, which is apparently the same red that Dave Bartrum had on his Ford when he raced himself, but I think that is horrible.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 16 2011, 18:15

Tony Gilham joins James Nash at Triple Eight
    Tony Gilham will step up from the Porsche Carrera Cup GB to the BTCC, joining James Nash at Triple Eight Race Engineering for the 2011 season.
    Gilham finished in ninth place in the standings in the 2010 Porsche Carrera Cup support championship, where he has raced for the past three years, two of those years with his ReDesign Racing team, and one with Redline Racing.

The 31-year old from Dartford said:
    "The BTCC is something I’ve wanted to do for an awful long time. I had opportunities to go with several other teams. However, following the withdrawal of a sponsor who had a big interest in a certain marque one of the offers had to be ruled one out. Nevertheless, and with all due respect to all of the other offers once I’d heard of Triple Eight’s interest in me and met with their management team, my mind was made up."

"Decisions like these are never easy to make, but I’m sure that by working with Triple Eight it will help me gain the knowledge and experience necessary for a
    successful BTCC campaign."

"I can’t wait now for Brands Hatch and the first round. It’s my local track too so I know that they’ll be a lot of support".

Gilham is now the second driver confirmed at Triple Eight, and the fourth confirmed Vauxhall Vectra on the grid after the two Pirtek Racing cars.

"I am pleased to welcome Tony to the team," said Triple Eight Chairman Ian Harrison.

"We’ve been keeping an eye on a number of drivers running outside of the BTCC for a little while now and Tony was one of those who caught the eye. I’m sure he’ll settle into things very quickly and surprise a few people too."

Triple Eight have been expanding their race programmes in the UK, with recent announcements that they will enter two cars in both the Porsche Carrera Cup and the new Ginetta GT Supercup for this year.

The winner of the 2011 Ginetta Supercup receives a full season's drive in the BTCC in 2012, similar to the incentive offered in the SEAT Cupra Championship in 2003-2004 which gave Rob Huff & James Pickford their first BTCC opportunities.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 16 2011, 18:15

Welch Motorsport plans Proton NGTC entry
    Welch Motorsport has announced plans to build a Proton Gen-2 in NGTC specification to enter in the second half of the British Touring Car Championship 2011.
    “We are scheduled to take delivery of the Proton road car today to begin the process of building it into a BTCC car – so the realistic target is to come into the series in the second half of the season with a longer-term ambition of running two cars," said John Welch to btcc.net.
    The team is going to run the unbranded NGTC engine from TOCA and the plan is to have John Welch's son Daniel Welch as driver.

"Daniel would be one of the quick youngsters coming in. He’s been very quick in everything he’s driven since he was seven years old – he lives and breathes motor racing and has always been fully involved on the engineering side so is a proper all-round competitor. I’m confident he really has the ability to cut it in the BTCC," said John Welch.

Welch Motorsport has previously taken part in the SEAT Leon Eurocup but is aware of the great challenge to enter BTCC.

"Obviously it’s a very different challenge but in recent years we’ve come up against grids of 30 or 40 cars in the SEAT Leon Eurocup and been right at the sharp end, so have learnt something about making a saloon car go quickly," said John Welch.

The team plans to debut the car at Snetterton in August, right after the BTCC summer break.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Fri Feb 18 2011, 17:31

Bamboo back in BTCC, BIG SURPRISE:

Bamboo plotting BTCC return

The bamboo engineering team is preparing to return to the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship in 2011 with two Chevrolet Lacettis.

Team principal Richard Coleman told btcc.net that an announcement is imminent and that Harry Vaulkhard is highly likely to be included in the driver line-up. Talks with other drivers are also on-going.

The Silverstone-based squad contested the BTCC in 2009 with a sole Lacetti for Newcastle racer Vaulkhard but last season expanded to two cars when it contested the World touring car series.

Coleman told btcc.net: “Our aim is to run two cars and we’re already very close to a deal with Harry. We want to do the BTCC and he wants to do the BTCC – the championship is looking extremely healthy and we want to be a part of that into the future.”

And Coleman believes the Lacetti – which would continue in full Super 2000 technical specification – should still be a potent weapon in the BTCC.

He added: “Our team has come a long way in the last 12 months and we’ve really strengthened our technical capabilities. We also know the Lacetti a lot better and are confident it can still be a very competitive package – people should remember it’s a car that won all three final races in 2009. Furthermore, Harry’s matured a lot as a driver so would come back a stronger driver.”
    Jon

Post by Jon on Fri Feb 18 2011, 17:36

Runners & Riders

Green = S2000 Car & Engine
    Blue = S2000 Car & NGTC Engine
    Red = NGTC Car & Engine
    Orange = BTC Spec

Confirmed intent to run:

1. Jason Plato - Chevrolet Cruze
    2. Shaun Hollemby - AMD Milltek VW Golf
    3. Matt Neal - Honda Racing
    4. Gordon Shedden - Honda Racing
    5. Matt Jackson - Airwaves Racing Ford
    6. Liam Griffin - Airwaves Racing Ford

7. Tony Hughes - Speedworks Toyota Avensis
    8. Frank Wrathall - Dynojet Toyota Avensis

9. Arthur Forster - Forster Motorsport BMW
    10. Martin Depper - Forster Motorsport (will start with BMW, wants to sell and buy FWD car.)

11. Jeff Smith - Pirtek Racing Vectra
    12. Andy Jordan - Pirtek Racing Vectra

13. TBA Chevrolet Cruze (MacDowell?)

14. TBA Arena Motorsport Ford (Chilton?)
    15. TBA Arena Motorsport (Andy Neate?)

16. TBA Rob Austin Racing Audi
    17. TBA Rob Austing Racing Audi

18. TBA Special Tuning Racing SEAT (Boardman?)
    19. TBA Special Tuning Racing SEAT
    20. TBA Special Tuning Racing SEAT (Believed to have 3 drivers signed)

21. TBA WSR BMW - Collard??
    22. TBA. WSR BMW

23. James Nash 888 Vauxhall Vectra
    24. Tony Gilham 888 Vauxhall Vectra

25. Lea Wood - Central Group BTC Integra
    26. Harry Vaulkhard Bamboo Engineering Lacetti (very likely to happen)
    27. Dan Welch - Welch Motorsport Proton (from mid-season)

Rumours:

28. TBA Bamboo Engineering Lacetti
    29. TBA Chevrolet Cruze (3rd car possible)
    30. TBA WSR BMW (3rd car possible - part season for Turkington?)

31. TBA Airwaves Racing Ford (Tom Onslow-Cole)
    32. TBA Arena Motorsport Ford

33. TBA Speedworks Toyota Avensis
    34. TBA Sunshine/ Techspeed (Paul O'Neill - Civic?)
    35. TBA Sunshine/ Techspeed (Civic?)

36. Nick Leason (rumour on btccpages of him working on a deal to return to the series in an NGTC car)

Other rumours:

4th Special Tuning Leon
    Matt Hamilton
    James Kaye?
    Martin Johnson?

Last edited by Jon on Fri Feb 18 2011, 18:05; edited 3 times in total
    Jon

Post by Jon on Fri Feb 18 2011, 17:44

Amazingly diverse, and still a quite strong grid compared to last year. There is a lot of teams that have confirmed cars and no announced drivers, but even we should be on for a good year
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Sat Feb 19 2011, 03:28

yep I think we may be at a turning point for the BTCC again..... Very Happy

Post by Jon on Sun Feb 20 2011, 12:11

Another day, another few rumours - it's to the point now that there are more rumours than spaces on the grid:

• A possible third Lacetti driven by Chris James (according to people on the BTCC forum who can see Harry Vaulkhard's facebook page).

• Another Toyota - Possibly the second Speedworks car (copied from Charlie J at the BTCC site forum:

Here's something from an unusual source..... the Civil Service Sports Club magazine (my wife's a member).

Rob Hedley (GT, Britcar and historic Formula Ford racer) will be competing in the British Touring Car Championship in the new Toyota Avensis Next Generation Touring Car.

That may be jumping the gun a bit though.....
    From Rob's website:
    "Rob is also currently working on a fantastic deal to race in the UK premier touring car championship. "At the moment I cannot comment on the deal as things aren't signed. Lets just say it would make a boyhood dream come true and really move my career to the top flight. Watch this space and as soon I know, I will let you know!" commented Hedley."
    Jon

Post by Jon on Sun Feb 20 2011, 12:16

Possible Paul O'Neill announcement soon too. Apparently the Sunshine Integras have been sold to China
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Sun Feb 20 2011, 14:22

the steadfast integra's..........always routed for the underdog's.... cheers

Post by Jon on Mon Feb 21 2011, 14:25

WSR have announced their first 2 drivers (presuming that they are still working on the third car. Sponsor details will be revealed at Media Day which seems to suggest they may be in a better position that they were last year, the car will have some form of update on it compared to 2010 - presume update aero package like the WTCC BMWs have and BMW have done a bit of work to the engine.

WSR signs Collard & Foster for 2011 season

West Surrey Racing have confirmed Rob Collard & Nick Foster will drive for the 2009 championship winning team this year, driving a pair of BMW 320s.
    Collard will stay with the team for a second consecutive season with the BMW 320si, after previously racing for the team with the MG-ZS in 2005-2006.

“It’s great to have the continuity with WSR as they are a very professional team and their cars are very reliable,” said Collard.

“They’ve been working hard on making the BMW more competitive, so I can’t wait till race one at Brands Hatch on April 3rd”.

Nick Foster will race in the British Touring Car Championship for the first time, graduating from the CSL Cup where he finished in fourth place in 2010, where he also drove a rear-wheel drive car, the BMW M3 E46.

“I am delighted to have signed with WSR to run in the BTCC,” said Foster.

“Having been involved in many disciplines in motorsport, it is very exciting to be racing in the most competitive series in the UK.”

Team Principal Dick Bennetts expressed his delight with his team’s 2011 line-up.

“We are really pleased to sign Rob again for 2011, as he knows how we operate and we know how he operates,” said Bennetts.

“Together with our engineering team, he knows how to get the best out of the BMW, so we’re looking for good results from the outset”.

“It’s great to have Nick (Foster) on board this year. He went well when he tested for us last year and although it’s going to be a steep learning curve for him in the BTCC, we’re sure he’ll go well”.

West Surrey Racing competed with Collard and Andy Neate in the BTCC last season, though Neate looks likely to move to rival independents’ team Arena Motorsport for this season, after testing the car at Brands Hatch last week.

WSR also competed in four rounds of the FIA World Touring Car Championship in 2010, with Colin Turkington winning the second race in Japan. Though with no budget for a WTCC season this year, Turkington has signed to race a Flash Engineering prepared BMW 320si in the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Mon Feb 21 2011, 14:42

Had a spare 10 minutes so thought I would do a clean list of what has been announced/ rumoured so far:

Confirmed Driver & Teams:

1. West Surrey Racing - Rob Collard
    2. West Surrey Racing - Nick Foster
    3. Airwaves Racing - Mat Jackson
    4. Airwaves Racing - Liam Griffin
    5. Honda Racing - Matt Neal
    6. Honda Racing - Gordon Shedden
    7. Dynojet Racing - Frank Wrathall
    8. Speedworks - Tony Hughes
    9. Forster Motorsport - Arthur Forster
    10. Forster Motorsport - Martin Depper
    11. Pirtek Racing - Andy Jordan
    12. Pirtek Racing - Jeff Smith
    13. Triple Eight Racing Engineering - James Nash
    14. Triple Eight Race Engineering - Tony Gilham
    15. AMD Miltek Racing - Sean Hollemby
    16. Central Group Racing - Lea Wood
    17. Welch Motorsport - Daniel Welch (NGTC Proton from mid-season)

Awaiting Driver Confirmation/ possible cars:

18. Chevrolet - Jason Plato
    19. Chevrolet - Alex MacDowell
    20. Arena Motorsport - Tom Chilton
    21. Arena Motorsport - Andy Neate
    22. Special Tuning Racing - Tom Boardman
    23. Special Tuning Racing - TBA
    24. Special Tuning Racing - TBA
    25. Rob Austin Racing - TBA
    26. Rob Austin Racing - TBA
    27. bamboo Engineering - Harry Vaulkhard
    28. bamboo Engineering - TBA
    29. Airwaves Racing - Tom Onslow Cole?
    30. West Surrey Racing - Colin Turkington (part season)
    31. Speedworks (2nd Toyota) - TBA

Other rumours from the web:

1. Nick Leason - NGTC spec car
    2. Rob Hedley - NGTC spec car
    3. Chris James - Chevrolet Lacetti
    4. Paul O'Neill - Possible announcement soon
    5. James Kaye - had intended to return this year
    6. Martin Johnson - has sold Vauxhall Astra
    7. Matt Hamilton - had hoped to return, things seem to have gone quiet
    8. 3rd Arena Motorsport Ford (no names linked to this seat so far - seem sunlikely to happen?)
    9. Clyde Valley Racing - hmmmmm

Last edited by Jon on Mon Feb 21 2011, 22:33; edited 1 time in total
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Mon Feb 21 2011, 22:10

Clyde Valley Racing website:

"Watch out for us in the MSA British Touring Car Championship 2011"

Post by Jon on Mon Feb 21 2011, 22:25

Eurostc wrote:Clyde Valley Racing website:

"Watch out for us in the MSA British Touring Car Championship 2011"

I saw that as well - added to the list :biggrin:

Think there's more chance of Giovanardi being on the grid :biggrin:

and let's face it - that is not going to happen either
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Tue Feb 22 2011, 01:51

cheers

maybe they will be partners on the Seat Leon's... alien

Post by Eurostc on Wed Feb 23 2011, 13:53

Bartrum eyes title success
    Airwaves Racing team principal David Bartrum believes his team is capable of winning the 2011 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship with its Ford Focus ST following a strong start to pre-season testing for the Kent-based squad.

also

Steel & Bell planning return
    Geoff Steel Racing is planning to return to the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship in 2011 with a pair of BMWs.

The Lincolnshire team has acquired two BMWs raced in recent seasons by the Motorbase squad.

It has also announced that former racer Martyn Bell, who drove for Steel during his first two seasons in the BTCC (2004-05), will act as team manager and be responsible for the commercial and sponsorship side of the operation. Steel himself will oversee engineering matters.

The team has yet to decide which engine to run in its cars but is actively evaluating a switch to a turbocharged unit built to the BTCC’s new Next Generation Touring Car regulations.

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 23 2011, 16:32

Beat me to it Marc Laughing

Taken from the BTCC facebook - confirmation of the intended entry of the third Lacetti:

In Motorsport News this week, ex-Mini Challenge racer Chris James reveals that he's set to join 2011's BTCC grid in a Chevrolet Lacetti run under his own Team ES Racing banner, with RML-prepared 2-litre S2000 engines. Read more about that and other stories from Britain's premier motor racing championship in this week's issue of MN.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18 2017, 16:08