Motorsport passion

WTCC 2011

Jon

Number of posts : 528
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Re: WTCC 2011

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 23 2011, 16:41

Bamboo are going to have to get those Lacettis back quickly to make sure they are at the BTCC first race, although I think they did have 3 of them last year.

More entires than rumoured though, which is a good thing
    Eurostc

Number of posts : 1449
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Post by Eurostc on Fri Feb 25 2011, 13:56

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nice looking Livery !!

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Moucham on Fri Feb 25 2011, 22:18

clapping
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Mon Mar 14 2011, 13:12

WTCC gets ready with new look 2011 season
    The 2011 WTCC season starts this weekend at the Brazilian circuit of Curitiba. TouringCarTimes previews the 2011 championship, with a look at the first significant rules changes in the championship’s short history.
    With an extended 12 date calendar with the addition of China this season, the WTCC continues to expand its global reach, whilst the level of competition is generally on a hold, with manufacturers holding back to commit to the series. In order to entice more, the WTCC has introduced some changes which it hopes will attract further competition especially from 2012.

The biggest change being implemented for 2011 as a result is the switch to the 1.6 litre turbocharged 'World' engine, which has already been seen used in the first two rounds of the FIA World Rally Championship by Ford and Citroen. 2010 champions Chevrolet are ahead of the pack in terms of time with the engine, with the team testing since September last year. That advantage coupled with the fact that they are the only existing manufacturer supported team with an unchanged driver line-up makes them the obvious candidate for success in Curitiba, and for the 2011 season in general.

Post by Eurostc on Wed Mar 16 2011, 22:52

First pics: Volvo ready for WTCC premiere
    Volvo Polestar Racing heads to Brazil this weekend for their first race in their first full season of the FIA World Touring Car Championship.
    "Volvo has given us a sound mission to evaluate the championship, meaning that we are initially not focusing on results but rather on preparing a base that we could build upon for 2012. We have got an exciting and rewarding challenge ahead of us," said Christian Dahl, Managing Director of Polestar Racing.
    Former Swedish Touring Car Championship driver Robert Dahlgren is going to drive the Volvo C30 DRIVe during the season and the Swede is keen to get going.

Post by Jon on Fri Mar 18 2011, 16:39

Jon

Post by Jon on Fri Mar 18 2011, 17:38

The WTCC drivers hit the track for the first time at Curitiba for a shake down.
    The session was due to last 90 minutes, however it was red-flagged with 20 minutes still on the clock and not resumed after Aleksei Dudukalo lost his SEAT TDi at the exit of the Esse da Alta and crashed heavily into the inside barriers. The Russian driver escaped unscathed while his car suffered from heavy damage.
    Tiago Monteiro and his SEAT TDi created a surprise by setting the fastest lap of 1:24.360 ahead of the new Chevrolet Cruze 1.6 Turbo of Alain Menu (1:24.440) and Yvan Muller (1:24.446). The fourth fastest lap was clocked by Franz Engstler’s BMW 320 TC (1:24.472).
    The top ten drivers were all covered by 0.6 seconds with Robert Dahlgren’s Volvo in 10th position (1:25.036).
    Gabriele Tarquini and Javier Villa did not post any lap time as their cars sat in the respective garages for the last adjustments.
    O-ZERO_Racing

Number of posts : 181
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post by O-ZERO_Racing on Sun Mar 20 2011, 21:13

Sadly some boring races, I hope that all the updates for the other cars will come soon. The differences between the works chevy's and the others is way to big. Luckily we have drivers like Tom Coronel who made the 2 races a bit attractive.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Sun Mar 20 2011, 21:53

Race 1 was probably the most boring touring car race I have seen since the ETCC races at Salzbergring last year.

Race 2 was better, Coronel drove very well however I still think that Chevrolet have a decent advantage over the BMWs. No offence to Coronel, I think he drove well, and Poulsen's laptimes were very good as well, after his collision in Race 2, his laptimes were matching the leaders but the Chevys have an advantage.

Maybe Michelisz will mix it with Coronel, but I think it's a shame WSR couldn't get the sponsorship together for Turkington this year and there is no Farfus or Priaulx as I think they would have been stronger this weekend that Coronel was.

Looks promising though, hopefully Volvo will have the new engine ready for Zolder and they can get the second car out for Thompson later in the year.
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Wed Apr 13 2011, 12:57

WTCC will go to Hungary in June
    It has been officially confirmed that the replacement round of the World Touring Car Championship for Marrekech will be at the Hungaroring circuit near the Hungarian capital of Budapest.
    "We are very happy that the opportunity arose to find a worthy replacement for Marrakech," said WTCC Promoter Marcello Lotti.

"Budapest is the perfect solution: it is a modern and demanding circuit with impressive facilities, brings the championship to a new country in which WTCC has a lot of fans thanks to Norbert Michelisz and also means huge saving in terms of logistics as it lies only 350 km away from Brno that hosts the following event."

This means a home race for Zengo Motorsport driver Norbert Michelisz, who will rejoin the championship from the next round of the championship at Zolder in Belgium.

"I am very happy because this is a great opportunity to show how competitive we are," said Michelisz.

"I was racing at the Hungaroring from the beginning of my career, so I know the circuit well. It makes me very proud to race in front of my home supporters and I will be aiming for some good results to please my fans."

The Hungaroring race takes place on June 5th, which will host rounds 7 & 8 of the 2011 FIA World Touring Car Championship.

Post by Jon on Wed Apr 13 2011, 16:07

Maybe it's me, but I can't see Hungary being a paricularly exciting race, would have preferred Imola or Salzbergring
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Thu Apr 14 2011, 03:00

Salz for me !!!

Post by Eurostc on Mon May 16 2011, 15:14

Robert Dahlgren: "Best race weekend so far"
    Robert Dahlgren hailed the WTCC race weekend at Monza as the "best so far" despite finishing 15th in the first race and 13th in the second.
    "This has been our best race weekend so far looking at the steps we have taken forward with the car," said Dahlgren.

Volvo Polestar Racing are currently developing a new turbo engine for introduction later in the season. The power shortage of the current non-turbo engine compared to the turbo engines was extra evident at Monza with its long straights, but Dahlgren was none the less thrilled over the performance of the Volvo C30.

"The car keeps getting better and better, we have taken big steps forward with the chassis both for qualifying and race. We are really pleased with the first three races of our development season," said Dahlgren.

The team is going to complete a series of test days in Sweden with the new turbo engine, the closest one scheduled for next week. However the team does not want to reveal the exact date for the introduction of the engine.

"The work with the engine proceeds according to plan and our test days on track has given us a lot of information. There is still more work to do and we are aiming to introduce the new engine in july," said Dahl.

Post by Eurostc on Mon May 16 2011, 15:15

Yvan Muller has been given a two race suspended penalty for his contact with Alain Menu in race one at Monza, which took his team-mate out of the race.
    Yvan's penalty has been assessed in accordance with Article 42 of the Sporting Regulations, where a driver has been deemed to have 'caused a collision', and the stewards have enacted the penalties available to them under Article 44 c.) which is a drop of ten positions on the grid for the subsequent race if Muller repeats the offence at either of the next two rounds of the championship.

Muller was fighting with Menu and believed he saw an opportunity to pass on the final lap, as he'd previously stated:

"Unfortunately at the end at the second chicane he (Menu) went off the corner a bit slower than me, I try of course inside but he closed the door and we had a small contact. Not big, but big enough."

See earlier story for Menu's views on the incident here

Muller also made contact with his other Chevrolet team-mate Rob Huff in race two, but Rob was able to hold on to the car and continue on take the win. Huff later admitted himself he probably surprised Muller by braking early for the Parabolica due to dirt on his tyres.

Muller's penalty means he will need to be cautious not to repeat the same kind of transgression at the races in Hungary and Czech in June

Post by Eurostc on Tue May 24 2011, 14:43

Drivers confused by new qualifying system
    Many of the WTCC's drivers are still unsure what the objective of the new qualifying format is after the controversial format continues to produce very random grids for race two.
    The two drivers who had pole position for each race at Monza are among those questioning what they believe is effectively a lottery for the race two grid.

Tiago Monteiro had set the fastest time in both of the Q1 sessions at Curitiba and Zolder, and as a result had drawn tenth on the grid for race two.

At Monza, the Portuguese driver was this time tenth fastest and so drew pole position for race two, with the top ten of the first qualifying session reversed for race two.

Despite obtaining the best position on the grid for race two, Monteiro was still not happy with the system.

"To be honest, it's a lot of luck, that's the problem with this qualifying. I wouldn't call it qualifying, it's a lottery, I'm not happy with it," said Monteiro to TouringCarTimes.

"Okay I'm on pole, great, but it was pure luck."

"I think I was a bit fast so I lifted off on the straight, but how much do you lift off? If I lifted off too much I was out of the top ten, just, and if I had not lifted off I'd have probably been P6 or P7."

In the WTCC's history, the grid has usually been decided by reversing the points scoring positions of the first race for race two (top eight), with the new qualifying system coming into force this year. Tiago offers his view on what improvements or changes could be made:

"There's never a perfect situation, that's clear. Whatever we change, some people will like it, some people won't. To be honest, my guess is last year was not that bad, with a few tweaks."

"I still think that maybe the second race shouldn't score as many points at the first, GP2 does it. But something similar to last year, it was working quite well. I know the reason why, they were trying to avoid this drop down thing, but if the second race scores less points, there's less of an incentive to do that."

Post by Eurostc on Sun Jun 05 2011, 17:13

cheers Much better Race today !!

Race #1 in Hungary proved the Cruze can be battled against !!

Post by Eurostc on Wed Jun 22 2011, 12:15

The compensation weight calculation for Porto sees the BMW drivers drop 10kg and the SUNRED's new entry weight removed, with the León dropping 60kg for the Portuguese round of the FIA World Touring Car Championship.
    Chevrolet will be the most ballasted car with the maximum compensation ballast applied of +40kg. This keeps the 1.6 litre turbocharged Cruzes of RML and Bamboo Engineering at 1,190kg.

BMW, after a quick performance at Hungary, had their weight increased by 30kg for Brno, but will now get 10kg of that back for the Portuguese street race onJuly 3rd.

SUNRED's new 1.6 litre turbo engine upgrade at Hungary saw the car run with maximum weight for two races, but now has its ballast calculated based on its performance so far and drops to the minimum possible weight, to -20kg below the base weight.

Volvo will still run with the new car ballast for the second consecutive weekend around the streets of Porto before the Volvo gets a recalculation for the British round at Donington Park on July 17th

Post by Eurostc on Thu Jul 07 2011, 19:09

Minimum weight for Volvo at Donington Park
    Polestar Racing will drop to the minimum possible weight for the next round of the Championship at Donington Park, whilst the BMW drivers will also shed 10kg.
    The Polestar Racing Volvo C30 of Robert Dahlgren was running at -20kg compensation ballast whilst competing with their 2.0 litre normally aspirated engine prior to Brno, and has had to compete with the maximum ballast for two events, but the team's relative pace to Chevrolet will see the team drop 60kg of weight to run at the minimum weight of 1130kg at Donington Park.

BMW also lose a further 10kg, which means they'll be running at just 20kg above their base weight whilst the all-dominant Chevrolet team will continue to run at the maximum 40kg above base weight, as will the independent Bamboo Engineering-run Chevrolet Cruzes.

Entry List with compensation weights for Donington Park

No - Driver - Team - Car - Ballast - Total Weight
    1 - Yvan Muller - Chevrolet - Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T - +40kg - 1190kg
    2 - Robert Huff - Chevrolet - Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T - +40kg - 1190kg
    3 - Gabriele Tarquini - Lukoil-SUNRED - SR León 1.6T - -20kg - 1130kg
    4 - Aleksei Dudukalo* - Lukoil-SUNRED - SR León 1.6T - -20kg - 1130kg
    5 - Norbert Michelisz* - Zengö Motorsport - BMW 320 TC - +20kg - 1190kg
    7 - Fredy Barth* - SUNRED Engineering - SR León 1.6T - -20kg - 1130kg
    8 - Alain Menu - Chevrolet - Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T - +40kg - 1190kg
    9 - Darryl O'Young* - Bamboo Engineering - Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T - +40kg - 1190kg
    10 - Yukinori Taniguchi* - Bamboo Engineering - Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T - +40kg - 1190kg
    11 - Kristian Poulsen* - Liqui-Moly Team Engstler - BMW 320 TC - +20kg - 1190kg
    12 - Franz Engstler* - Liqui-Moly Team Engstler - BMW 320 TC - +20kg - 1190kg
    15 - Tom Coronel - ROAL Motorsport - BMW 320 TC - +20kg - 1190kg
    17 - Michel Nykjaer* - SUNRED Engineering - SR León 1.6T - -20kg - 1130kg
    18 - Tiago Monteiro - SUNRED Engineering - SR León 1.6T - -20kg - 1130kg
    20 - Javier Villa* - Proteam Racing - BMW 320 TC - +20kg - 1190kg
    25 - Mehdi Bennani* - Proteam Racing - BMW 320 TC - +20kg - 1190kg
    ?? - TBC* - Wiechers-Sport - BMW 320 TC - +20kg - 1190kg
    30 - Robert Dahlgren - Polestar Racing - Volvo C30 1.6T - -20kg - 1130kg
    65 - Marchy Lee* - KK Motorsport - BMW 320 TC - +20kg - 1190kg
    74 - Pepe Oriola* - SUNRED Engineering - SR León 1.6T - -20kg - 1130kg

* Eligible for the Yokohama Independents' Trophy

Post by Jon on Thu Jul 07 2011, 20:15

Have a feeling we're going to see Priaulx or Turkington on the grid - although my current hunch is that it will be Priaulx in the Wiechers car... we'll find out tomorrow
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Thu Jul 07 2011, 21:10

both and Thompson..............would make for a damm fine show......... cheers

Post by Jon on Thu Jul 07 2011, 22:39

It's going to be Colin Turkington then - both he and Wiechers-Sport have annoucements tomorrow.

Thompson is signed exclusively with Polestar - he is unable to race anywhere else this year as his contract is exclusive to Polestar, Sean Hollemby trid to get him to do some raced in the AMD VW Golf.

Thompson to appear in the final 3 WTCC rounds it seems in a second Volvo (he's already registered for the championship, race number 33 according to Eurosport at the start of the year). Eurosport had originally said a second Volvo may of been at Donington, shame but at least we get Colin back.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 16 2017, 15:13