Motorsport passion

STCC 2011

Eurostc

Number of posts : 1449
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

STCC 2011

Post by Eurostc on Tue Nov 30 2010, 23:36

James Thompson confirms talks with Volvo
    James Thompson has confirmed that he is in negotiations with Volvo for a drive in the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship 2011.
    "We have been talking for a while, there is nothing set yet, but it could be a potentially very exciting project," said Thompson to TouringCarTimes.
    Robert Dahlgren is leaving the Scandinavian championship to do a full season in the FIA World Touring Car Championship for Volvo, meaning that there is a seat available in the Polestar Volvo team for the Scandinavian championship.

"We have had a meeting, I know Christian Dahl [team boss] of Polestar Racing from before and we get along well," said Thompson.

Thompson took part in the Scandinavian Touring Car Cup this year as well as the European Touring Car Cup for Hartmann Honda. For 2011 Thompson is keeping his options open.

"My goal is to be involved in a manufacturer program. Polestar has done a fantastic job with the C30, I have raced them both in the WTCC and the Scandinavian championship," said Thompson.

Number of posts : 181
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Re: STCC 2011

Post by O-ZERO_Racing on Wed Dec 08 2010, 17:43

Shame that Saab pulled the plug out the project.
    The front of the racing car, looks very good, the back-lightunit are not my cup of tea though.
    Click
    Jon

Number of posts : 528
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Jon on Wed Dec 08 2010, 18:26

Shame but understandable considering the rule change for 2012 I guess, especially considering the project has been going a few years but nothing ever came of it.

Read a while ago that West Coast Racing are back to 2 cars next year - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Goransson and Martin Öhlin. Considering they sold Rudholm's 2009 car to Ebbesson, they have a good pick of second hand cars to pick from kicking around Europe
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Tue Jan 18 2011, 14:26

James Thompson signs for Volvo
    Experienced touring car racer James Thompson has signed for Volvo to drive in the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship 2011.
    "I am delighted. Volvo and Polestar has presented a very clear plan with a long term potential," said Thompson.
    Volvo Sweden MD Thomas Andersson is delighted to have the Brit in the Volvo team.

"We are very much happy to be able to welcome James Thompson to Volvo and Polestar. With his merits, I am sure that he is going to feel right at home with us," said Andersson.

Thompson is currently heading to Spain with the team to complete two test days along with WTCC teams Chevrolet and SUNRED SEAT, as well as the Swedish Chevrolet team.

"I am head to Spain right now to perform a test with the car. I am really happy to be a part of this with Volvo and Polestar," said Thompson.

Thompson's team mate in the STCC has not yet been confirmed, but it is likely that 2009 STCC champion Tommy Rustad remains in the team. Regular Volvo-driver Robert Dahlgren moves from STCC to WTCC this season.

"Thompson is going to have an important role in the evaluation of WTCC that Polestar is going to undertake for us during 2011. Other than that, Thompson is going to be part of Volvo's development team of chassis dynamics for road cars with WTCC-driver Robert Dahlgren," said Volvo Motorsport head Dereck Crabb.

would have like to see him in BTCC .....

Cool

Post by Jon on Tue Jan 18 2011, 19:50

May see another British driver in the STCC yet - may not have the number of cars as BTCC but the quality is higher generally
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Wed Jan 19 2011, 23:25

Engström back in a Gulf-sponsored Honda Accord
    Tomas Engström is going to be back in the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship for 2011, as well as the FIA European Touring Car Cup.
    "It feels incredibly nice to be back in STCC," said Engström.
    Engström is going to drive a Gulf-sponsored Honda Accord in five races of STCC, with the ambition to expand the program.

"It is just a couple of weeks ago that we decided to go ahead with this program and we are taking things carefully. If we manage to complete a bigger budget, we are going to take part in all STCC races," said Engström.

Engström took part in the STCC support class Camaro Cup last year, clinching the title in dominating fashion.

"As we did not have the resources to drive STCC last year, the new Camaro Cup felt like a good option. The success I had in that class made it possible to be back in STCC," said Engström.

Engström is aiming high for the coming season, despite not taking part in the entire season.

"My goal for ETCC is the overall victory and for STCC the goal is to win a race. I need the challenge, when I became champion of Camaro, there was nothing more for me to do in that class," said Engström.

Post by Eurostc on Wed Jan 19 2011, 23:26

Hallrup hopeful with Rydell as team mate
    Viktor Hallrup is hoping for a strong season with the boost of experienced touring car racer Rickard Rydell as team mate.
    "Everything is different, it is going to be a great difference compared to last year," said Hallrup.
    The team is currently in Spain for the first test days of the year. But Hallrup is not scheduled to drive until later this spring.

"This week Rickard and his engineer Jonas are working with the car, next time it is my turn," said Hallrup.

Hallrup ended up a disappointing 11th in the championship last year with a second place in the season finale as his best finish. But for 2011, Hallrup has got his sight set on victories.

"I am always aiming to win, but we are of course going to work as a team and help each other forward. I have more testing planned for this season as well," said Hallrup.

Post by Eurostc on Wed Jan 19 2011, 23:27

Tommy Rustad keen to continue with Volvo
    While Volvo Polestar announced James Thompson for the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship 2011, his team mate has not been confirmed yet. 2009 STCC champion Tommy Rustad is keen to continue with the team.
    "The plan and my goal is to continue with Volvo. I am discussing the matter with Christian [team boss], we are working on it," said Rustad to TouringCarTimes.com.
    Despite the ongoing negotiations, Rustad is keeping his options open for other teams and championships.

"As for STCC, Polestar is the only Swedish team I am negotiating with at the moment. Then I have some interest around rallycross, but my goal is to continue with Volvo, we have worked good together for three years and taken one title," said Rustad.

If Polestar Volvo decides to keep Rustad, the Norwegian gets to team up with his former BTCC colleague Thompson.

"I have raced with him before, in both BTCC and ETCC, and I know that he is a good racer. He has got good merits and I think he is going to suit very well with Volvo," said Rustad.

Rustad expects the coming STCC season to be one of the toughest since the Super Touring days of the championship.

"It is looking very good, with names like Thompson and Rydell joining the championship. I think the series can be tougher this year, especially if we get some of the Danes to join the championship as well," said Rustad.

Post by Jon on Sat Jan 29 2011, 23:44

Runners & Riders so far (if I have missed any let me know):

Confirmed:

1. James Thompson - Polestar Volvo
    2. TBA - Polestar Volvo (Should be Rustad)
    3. Richard Goransson - West Coast Racing BMW
    4. Martin Ohlin - West Coast Racing BMW
    5. Jan 'Flash' Nilssen - Flash Engineering BMW
    6. TBA - Flash Engineering BMW (Had been in discussion with Colin Turkington before Christmas, Thed Bjork has definately left the team).
    7. Tomas Engstrom - Engstrom Motorsport Honda (confirmed for 5 rounds so far)
    8. Rickard Rydell - CMS Cruze
    9. Viktor Hallrup - CMS Cruze
    10. Jason Watt - JWR SEAT

Rumours:

1. Jan Magnussen - Perfection Racing Cruze
    2. Fredrik Ekblom - Team Biogas VW
    3. Patrick Olsson - Team Biogas VW
    4. Johan Kristofferson - Team Biogas VW?
    5. Dick Sahlén - Mattias Ekström Junior Team SEAT
    6. Roger Eriksson - Mattias Ekström Junior Team SEAT Leon
    7. Mattias Andersson - MAGP Alfa
    8. Johan Stureson - IPS BMW
    9. Andreas Ebbesson - Ebbesson Motorsport BMW

Not seen any news on the following:

1. Hartmann Honda (x2)
    2. Alternative Engineering (ran Elgaard and Schlünssen in 2010)
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Thu Feb 10 2011, 16:01

Flash Engineering signs Colin Turkington for STCC
    BMW-star and former BTCC-champion Colin Turkington is going to drive for Flash Engineering in the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship 2011 alongside team mate Jan "Flash" Nilsson.
    "I feel very happy and motivated to race for Flash Engineering in STCC this season," said Turkington.
    Team mate and double STCC-champion Jan "Flash" Nilsson says that Turkington is going to provide a strong concept for the team in STCC 2011.
    "We are very proud to welcome such a fast and successful driver as Colin to Flash Engineering. His experience of BMW combined with our experience of the BMW's is going to give us a very strong concept for STCC 2011," said "Flash".

Post by Jon on Thu Feb 10 2011, 16:26

Great news for Colin - and that he is (supposedly) getting a paid drive is nothing less than he deserves.

Sure both Colin and James will do well, still hoping he can also put a limited WSR deal together Turks not in a WSR BMW doesn't seem right to me Laughing
    Jon

Post by Jon on Wed Feb 16 2011, 18:14

Another good piece of news for Flash, John Morton is moving from WSR to Flash to engineer Colin Turkington's car in 2010.

I know that John Morton engineered Colin's car in the WTCC last year, but not sure if he did any BTCC work last year, as Albert Lau was engineering Rob Collard's car going by what I can remember reading.
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Thu Mar 03 2011, 00:15

Predicted entry list STCC 2011

Richard Göransson - WestCoast Racing - BMW 320si
    Martin Öhlin - WestCoast Racing - BMW 320si
    Tommy Rustad - Polestar Racing - Volvo C30
    James Thompson - Polestar Racing - Volvo C30
    Fredrik Ekblom - Biogas.se - Volkswagen Scirocco
    Patrik Olsson - Biogas.se - Volkswagen Scirocco
    Jan "Flash" Nilsson - Flash Engineering - BMW 320si
    Colin Turkington - Flash Engineering - BMW 320si
    Rickard Rydell - Chevrolet Team Sweden - Chevrolet Cruze
    Viktor Hallrup - Chevrolet Team Sweden - Chevrolet Cruze
    Roger Eriksson - SEAT Dealer Team/Brovallen - SEAT León
    TBA - SEAT Dealer Team/Brovallen - SEAT León
    Mattias Andersson - MA:GP/IPS Motorsport - Alfa Romeo 156
    Johan Stureson - MA:GP/IPS Motorsport - BMW 320si
    TBA - Danielsson Motorsport - TBA
    TBA - Danielsson Motorsport - TBA
    Tomas Engström - Engström - Motorsport Honda Accord
    Jason Watt - Team Bygma - SEAT León
    Andreas Ebbesson - Ebbesson Motorsport - BMW 320si
    Joakim Ahlberg - BMS Event - BMW 320i
    Robin Appelqivst - Appelqvist Racing - Alfa Romeo 156

I kinda wish Plato had got a ride with Volvo for a few races :-)

Post by Eurostc on Fri Apr 01 2011, 22:15

Volkswagen has begun testing in Germany
    The STCC Volkswagen Team Biogas.se has begun testing in Germany ahead of the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship 2011. Patrik Olsson was joined by Johan Kristoffersson, standing in for regular driver Fredrik Ekblom.
    "I am pleased with the test and the data that we got out from it. There is no doubt in my mind that we are going to be quicker in the sections that we were struggling in last season," said team manager Tommy Kristoffersson.
    The team completed a large number of laps at Oschersleben with the upgraded S2000 specification Volkswagen Scirocco cars.

"The drivers are familiar with the track since before and we have previous data to work with. The track is also close to the Volkswagen factory and we got help from there with several technicians," said Kristoffersson.

The team continues testing in Sweden next week alongside other STCC teams.

"We are going to complete six test days in four different tracks in three countries. Fredrik [Ekblom] is going to join us when we start testing again at Knutstorp next week," said Kristoffersson.

Post by Jon on Mon Apr 04 2011, 22:11

I think WCR are keeping up with the "ugly liveries on a BMW" theme that Motorbase were so good at the past few years:

Interestingly, they have kept with the old style body kit like WSR, rather than the updated version that Flash and Geoff Steel are using

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

More pics of the other cars here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Mon Apr 11 2011, 21:20

Chevrolet Team Sweden reveals new design
    Chevrolet Team Sweden today revealed their design for the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship 2011. The team fields two Chevrolet Cruzes for Swedes Rickard Rydell and Viktor Hallrup.
    The team ran one Cruze last year for Hallrup, who struggled to get results and only managed to get one podium finish and ended up in 11th position in the championship.

For this season the team has got high hopes with an increased budget, staff from RML and experienced touring car racer Rydell as their number one driver.

The team is going to be present at the first official STCC test at Knutstorp on wednesday.

Post by Eurostc on Mon Apr 11 2011, 21:21

Super sexy !!

Post by Eurostc on Mon Apr 11 2011, 21:21

Post by Eurostc on Sat Apr 23 2011, 17:35

results are in , for the first race.... Very Happy

Post by Jon on Sat Apr 23 2011, 17:51

I was surprised Jason Watt didn't get a penalty lap for that move, was quite wreckless and normally clashes with less contact than that get penalised.

Now waiting for Race 2 to be shared.
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Sun Apr 24 2011, 03:01

Richard Göransson hospitalized after violent crash
    Richard Göransson is going to remain hospitalized after his big crash during the first Scandinavian Touring Car Championship race at Jyllandsringen. The reigning champion has been diagnosed with a spine fracture.
    "We are primarily glad that Richard is alive. It was a violent accident in one of the best races he has ever done," said WestCoast Racing Team Principle Dick Jönsson-Wigroth.
    Göransson pulled away in a dominant lead of the first race when he suddenly went straight in the first corner and straight in to the barriers.

"I have visited Göransson in the hospital and he is glad to be alive. He is well considering the circumstances, but in a lot of pain. We await further information from the doctors," said Jönsson-Wigroth.

Göransson reported that he suddenly lost pressure in the brake pedal. It remains to be seen what the exact cause of the accident was and if Göransson is going to be able to take part in any further races this year.

Post by Eurostc on Wed Apr 27 2011, 12:33

Rear brake pads caused Göransson's crash
    WestCoast Racing has determined the cause of Richard Göransson's severe crash in the Scandianvian Touring Car Championship premiere last weekend. A rear brake pad fell off the car, causing Göransson to lose brake pressure and crash.
    "This is a mistake by the team that we fully take responsibility for and that we are deeply sorry for," said Dick Jönsson-Wigroth, WestCoast Racing Team Principal.
    Göransson crashed on the penultimate lap of the STCC 2011 opener at Jyllandsringen while leading the race with 8.1 seconds.

The Swede held a speed of 184 km/h when he went on the brakes, a speed that he managed to reduce to 107 km/h when he left the asphalt edge and flew over first part of the gravel trap due to a lower ground level compared to the level of the track.

Göransson held 86 km/h when he hit the barrier and the g-force meters in the car maxed out at 5 G at the moment of impact, WestCoast Racing states that they estimate the g-forces to be between 10 and 20 G at the moment of impact.

"We have always had the safety for our staff and drivers as the number one priority and we have never before experienced anything like this. The human factor has struck us this time and we regret this deeply. We are going to look over our routines and see if we can improve them further in order to never repeat anything like this," said Jönsson-Wigroth.

The team has not announced yet whether a replacement driver is going to be appointed for the coming STCC race at Knutstorp on the 7th of May.

Post by Eurostc on Tue May 10 2011, 12:28

Turkington strengthens championship position
    Colin Turkington climbed to second in the championship after the second race weekend of the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship.
    "We have collected good results this weekend and I must say that I am pleased with the outcome of the two first races of the season," said Turkington.
    Turkington qualified eighth, finished sixth in the first race and third in the second race. But the Flash Engineering driver lost one position on the final lap to championship leader Stureson.
    "It is a long championship and it is all about scoring solid points at the start of the season. If it would have been the final race of the season, I would have defended my position harder," said Turkington.

Flash Engineering team manager Johan Kvick is pleased with the way Turkington has adjusted to the Scandinavian tracks, tracks that he never before has raced on.
    "We have got a good start of the season. Turkington has adjusted remarkably well to the Scandinavian tracks and it looks good for the rest of the season," said Kvick.

Post by Eurostc on Tue May 10 2011, 15:01

Rickard Rydell dissatisfied with season start
    Rickard Rydell scored his first podium for Chevrolet in the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship at Knutstorp but the Swede is not pleased with the start of the season.
    "Third is okay, but it would have been better with stronger results," said Rydell.
    The 1998 BTCC champion set a blistering pace in qualifying at Knutstorp with second place on the grid, matching the times set by the 55 kilos lighter Volkswagen Scirocco of Fredrik Ekblom.

"Neither Jyllandsringen nor Knutstorp are good tracks for us, but I was really pleased with second place in qualifying. Unfortunately I lost one position in the first corner [of the race], but I felt that I could not match the pace of Rustad and Ekblom in the first part of the race," said Rydell.

Rydell had to retire from the second race after a clash with Honda driver Tomas Engström after a safety car restart.

"A steering rod was bent and my car just went straight in the following corner," said Rydell.

Rydell is fifth in the championship after Knutstorp, a position he is not pleased with.

Post by Eurostc on Tue May 31 2011, 22:31

Top teams plans breakaway series for 2012
    The fight over which regulations to be used in STCC next year has heated up as a number of teams are reported to be planning a breakaway series for 2012.
    "It would be a great shame if that happens," said STCC MD Bob Huzell to TT.
    The Volvo team Polestar Racing, SEAT team Brovallen Design and the two BMW teams WestCoast Racing and Flash Engineering are among the teams [named TTA - Touring Car Teams Association] behind the plans to leave STCC.
    "As things currently are, we are going to do the new series, thats a 100 % certain. We have got teams, cars and tracks," said Flash Engineering team owner Jan "Flash" Nilsson to NWT.

The fight was sparked after STCC announced the BTCC regulations NGTC [Next Generation Touring Car] to be introduced in 2012 after previous negotiations with the teams to introduce Solution-F based regulations [silhouette type].

The team organization TTA has announced that they are intending to run a modified version of Solution-F for 2012.
    "The cars are advanced and top of the line when it comes to environmental and safety technology, we have looked a lot at DTM and Formula One. Our first test is scheduled for the 22nd of June outside of Sweden," said "Flash".

Although reports to TouringCarTimes indicate that negotiations between STCC and the teams are still ongoing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18 2017, 16:19