BTCC 2012

Jon

Number of posts : 528
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

BTCC 2012

Post by Jon on Tue Sep 06 2011, 19:09

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Honda confirm NGTC Civic entry for 2012

Honda will remain in the British Touring Car Championship in 2012, with Team Dynamics building a brand new Honda Civic built to the championship's Next Generation Touring Car specifications.
    The team will use the new 2012 Honda Civic, which is due to be unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show later this month.

Team Dynamics will become the first manufacturer backed team to build a car to the new NGTC-specifications.

"We are all looking forward to 2012, and from my point of view it is very exciting to have the prospect of driving the new Honda Civic," said Honda Racing Team driver Matt Neal.

"The team's development of the car is already well underway, and the new Civic will fit the BTCC's 'Next Generation Touring Car' regulations. I'm sure it will keep Honda at the front, and in the winner's circle, both off and on track!"

Team Dynamics have already switched to the new NGTC engine regulations as of this season, with engine builders Neil Brown developing a 2.0 litre turbocharged engine which is based on that used in the Civic. So far the team have won eight out of 18 races, which has given them the lead in the manufacturers' championship, and both drivers currently second and third in the drivers' points.

"We are delighted to enter the new Civic in next year's BTCC, and hope to build on the success we've already had with the current model," said Dave Hodgetts, Managing Director of Honda UK.

"The Civic is the perfect model to compete in British Touring Cars, as it has been born and bred in the UK. The new car has been tested on more UK roads than any other Honda, and it will continue to be built exclusively in Swindon."
    Jon

Re: BTCC 2012

Post by Jon on Tue Sep 06 2011, 19:12

TH Motorsport aiming for 2012 return with Matt Hamilton

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

TH Motorsport are aiming to return to the BTCC in 2012 with a Next Generation Touring Car specification Skoda Octavia vRS with former driver Matt Hamilton.
    The Watford based squad left the championship mid-year in 2010, running an old BTC-spec Honda Civic for the then 20-year-old Hamilton from Hemel Hempsted.

The team hope to return to the British Touring Car Championship in 2012 with a Next Generation Touring Car (NGTC) specification Skoda Octavia vRS.

"We were very disappointed to have to leave the BTCC in 2010," said TH Motorsport Team Principal Trevor Humphrey.

"It was always my intention to return as soon as possible. I considered purchasing an S2000 car to run this year, but for a smaller team like us, it was a 'no brainer' to be patient, and go the NGTC route. In the long run, the NGTC car will be much more cost effective to run, and with a structured development programme, I know that we can be competitive."

The team has been active in the BTCC for many years, previously running cars for John George including the LPG converted Honda Civic and Peugeot 406 back in 2004, and then with an ex-Team Dynamics Honda Integra in more recent years.

The team returned to the BTCC at the end of 2009 with an ex-Arena Motorsport Honda Civic for Matt Hamilton, and continued through into the first four meetings of 2010, where the young driver picked up his first points at Brands Hatch.

"I am looking forward to working with Matt (Hamilton) again," added Humphrey. "I was very impressed with the way that Matt adapted to touring cars, and I know that he has huge potential."

"Our participation in the BTCC with a Next Generation Touring Car is a long term commitment. We are also considering the option of building a second car if a driver with competitive credentials was to show an interest."
    Eurostc

Number of posts : 1449
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

Post by Eurostc on Wed Nov 02 2011, 00:24

Championship points system changes for next season
    The top 15 cars will score points in the 2012 British Touring Car Championship season, after record breaking grids have seen the series revise the points system to accommodate the larger field.
    With the grid boasting a 30 car entry for the final race of the season at Silverstone, and with a maximum grid capacity of 32 in the BTCC, Championship organisers TOCA have confirmed the points will extend down to 15th place next year, whereas previously points have only been paid out to the top ten drivers in the results.

The BTCC operates its own system from the standard FIA system, where 25 points are allocated for a win. A race winner in the BTCC previously picked up 15 points, though that's effectively 16 with the bonus point on offer for any driver who manages to lead a lap. Another point is also awarded for the pole position driver and for the driver who sets the fastest lap in each race. Points were then allocated from second to tenth at 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. A similar system was used in the independents' Championship except without the bonus points for fastest lap, pole and leading laps.

Apart from confirming that the top 15 finishers will score points in both the overall and independents' points next season, the exact details of that new system are as yet unknown.

Post by Eurostc on Wed Nov 02 2011, 00:25

The British Touring Car Championship has announced details of a new approach in order to tackle the issue of engine peformance amongst the turbo competitors in the 2012 season, with the Engine Technical Review Panel (ETRP) overseeing a benchmarking flow-test programme.
    The issue of performance parity has troubled the BTCC for much of the 2011 season, most notably with criticisms from teams running the older normally aspirated 2.0 litre engines. However, there was also in-fighting between the turbo equipped teams in 2011, with different measures being applied by TOCA for those running the new Next Generation Touring Car (NGTC) teams, those running the low-cost TOCA engine built by Swindon, as well as different measures applied to the Championship winning Honda team in order to equalise the inherent performance discrepancies across the turbocharged competitors.

In order to address this, Lotus Engineering is performing a benchmarking exercise on all of the turbocharged engines for 2012, which is being overseen by the BTCC's Engine Technical Review Panel (ETRP). This includes members from every engine builder in the Championship, which in 2011 were Neil Brown Engines (Honda), Mountune Racing (Ford), Swindon Racing Engines (Various), Lehmann (SEAT, Audi & VW), X C-Tech R (Toyota), RML (Chevrolet) and BMW - though the latter two were normally aspirated engines originally built for the World Touring Car Championship.

The panel's independent chairman is Clive Dopson, former Managing Director of Lotus Cars.

"The purpose of this programme is not to make every race engine perform in exactly the same way," said Series Director Alan Gow. "It's only right that the best engineering, the best design, the best teams and, of course, the best drivers still see their efforts related to their on-track performances."

"No, the test programme is simply to reduce any wide performance variances resulting from significant differences in the fundamental port/valve designs of the original production engines. It will identify and quantify those that produce superior airflow through the cylinder head and those that don't, in order that their baseline turbo boost pressure is set accordingly."

"Thereafter, during the course of the season, a strict mathematic calculation – based on a rolling average of each model's qualifying and lap times over a set number of events – will determine if any further changes should be made to their respective boost levels."

"This will have the virtue of being an entirely clear, definitive procedure which utilises a set calculation and methodology to adjust any significant performance imbalances, based on the qualifying/race lap times achieved by each model. Over the next few weeks we will, of course, be defining the parameters more precisely, once we have validated all the data."

"The important thing is that our teams have unanimously agreed to both the process of the flow-testing and to the introduction of the boost-adjustment calculation method during the season, as they all very much recognise the huge positive benefits it will have for everyone."

In 2012, the same regulations as 2011 apply, with performance parity promised between teams which compete to the three separate sets of regulations; those cars which are fully compliant with 2010 FIA Super 2000 regulations (2.0 litre normally aspirated e.g. RML/Chevrolet), those that compete to full NGTC specifications (e.g. Dynojet Racing/Toyota this season) and those running S2000 cars with NGTC engines (e.g. Honda, Ford), the latter two specifications with 2.0 litre turbocharged engines.

However as yet, all of the declared interests for 2012 are for turbo entries only, with the majority of teams planning compete with full NGTC cars. Only Special Tuning Racing and AmD Milltek Racing have indicated they're likely to compete with NGTC-powered S2000 cars, and no teams at present are planning to compete with a fully S2000-compliant car thus far.

Post by Eurostc on Tue Nov 08 2011, 04:56

Thompson eyeing 2012 return
    Former double champion James Thompson has said a return to the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship is at the top of his 2012 wish list.

Thompson says only a full-time drive in the British or World touring car championships are of interest to him – he made his first appearance in the BTCC since 2009 in this year’s season finale at Silverstone driving a Ford Focus for Airwaves Racing.

The Leeds ace told the Yorkshire Evening Post: “It will either be the British championship or the World – it won’t be anything else.

“The one thing that I haven’t achieved is the World Championship – I’ve finished third but I haven’t won it. If there was a possibility of getting a car that gave me the chance to win the World Championship then, obviously, I would be very interested in that.

“But outside of that I don’t just want to be in it for the sake of it and I would prefer to race in the British Championship if faced with that. Basically, I have narrowed my options down and it’s just a matter of coming up with the right package.”

Thompson, who won the BTCC in 2002 and 2004, was also full of praise for the BTCC following his outing last month at Silverstone – there, a record 30 cars appeared on the grid with the championship’s new turbocharged Next Generation Touring Car regulations drawing interest from both current and many more potentially new teams.

He added: “The BTCC now looks very, very strong and there are a few teams that are interested in me for next year. One of them said ‘well, why don’t you come and drive the car in the last round of the season?’ I was going to go and watch the race anyway so it’s nice that someone could put a car on for me and let me enjoy the weekend.

“It was really good – there was a great atmosphere and, while we didn’t have the best weekend because of a few mechanical problems, it was very enjoyable and just nice to see how the championship is blossoming. It’s very promising at the minute.

“I’ve been lucky to have raced all over the place but I think having done that it’s nice to be in the UK and it’s amazing the support we have fan-wise and things. A lot of people seem to want me back and it’s nice – it’s always nice to feel like you are wanted.”

Number of posts : 181
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post by O-ZERO_Racing on Wed Nov 09 2011, 14:54

I hope Thompson will find a good ride in WTCC, as he's a top driver who belongs in a world touring car championship, nothing wrong with BTCC though.
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Thu Nov 10 2011, 01:44

i agree but WTCC has got kinda boring compared to earlier years , either would work for me !!

Post by O-ZERO_Racing on Sat Nov 12 2011, 17:24

that's true the domination from Chevrolet makes it less interesting, although when there are no competitive teams/drivers you can't blame Chevrolet that they win.
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Tue Nov 29 2011, 14:03

New points format announced
    The Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship has revealed its extended points scoring system for 2012.

From next season, the top 15 finishers in each race will score outright championship points. The 15 highest-placed independent runners will also score in the Independents Trophy.

Previously, only the top ten in both championships were awarded points. The outright HIQ Teams Championship and Independent Teams Trophy will also be similarly altered.

BTCC Series Director Alan Gow commented: “Fundamentally, the new system doesn’t really change that much as we’ve maintained the same spread of points between the top-ten placings as before. However, what this does is to give drivers outside of the top ten something extra to go for and is thus an extra reward for their efforts.”

The 2012 BTCC season, featuring ten rounds at top race circuits across the UK, will commence on the weekend of 31 March-1 April at Brands Hatch in Kent.

BTCC Points-scoring System 2012
    1st: 20 points 6th: 10 points 11th: 5 points
    2nd: 17 points 7th: 9 points 12th: 4 points
    3rd: 15 points 8th: 8 points 13th: 3 points
    4th: 13 points 9th: 7 points 14th: 2 points
    5th: 11 points 10th: 6 points 15th: 1 point

+ 1 additional point will be awarded to the driver who starts on Pole Position for the first race of each meeting.
    + 1 additional point will be awarded to the driver setting the Fastest Lap in each race. If two or more drivers achieve the same fastest lap time each will be awarded one point.
    + 1 additional point will be awarded to each driver who is classified as the race leader (on crossing the start-finish line) during each race. Only one point is awarded to each driver who has led each race, irrespective of how many times that driver has led that race.

Independent Drivers & Teams Trophies
    Points for drivers are awarded as per the outright Drivers Championship (bonus points are not scored. Points for teams are awarded to each team’s highest-placed finisher only as per the outright Drivers Championship points system (bonus points are not scored).

HiQ BTCC Teams Championship
    Points are awarded to each team’s two highest-finishing cars in each race (provided each car is classified as a finisher in the official results). Points are awarded as per the outright Drivers Championship (bonus points are not scored).

BTCC Manufacturers/Constructors Championship
    Points are awarded to a maximum of two cars per registered manufacturer/constructor in each race (provided each car is classified as a finisher in the official results). Each manufacturer/constructor must nominate their two cars prior to 5pm on qualifying day. Points are awarded as per the outright Drivers Championship (bonus points are not scored).

Post by Eurostc on Tue Nov 29 2011, 14:05

Gordon Shedden voted best BTCC driver of 2011
    Honda Racing Team driver Gordon Shedden was voted by readers of TouringCarTimes as the best driver of the 2011 British Touring Car Championship season.
    The 32-year-old Scotsman finished second in the drivers' Championship this season to Matt Neal in one of the closest seasons in the BTCC's history, finishing just eight points down after 30 races.

TouringCarTimes readers saw Shedden's achievements in 2011 worthy of voting him as the best driver of the year, beating last year's winner Jason Plato with 20% of the vote to Plato's 16%. Matt Neal was third on 14%, with Mat Jackson and Frank Wrathall in fourth and fifth place.

"It's fantastic to have received so much support from the fans to be given this award," said Shedden.

Post by Eurostc on Wed Dec 07 2011, 23:29

2012 British Touring Car Championship calendar

1-April - Brands Hatch, Kent
    15-Apr - Donington Park, Leicestershire
    29-Apr - Thruxton, Hampshire
    10-Jun - Oulton Park, Cheshire
    24-Jun - Croft, North Yorkshire
    12-Aug - Snetterton (300), Norfolk
    26-Aug - Knockhill, Fife
    23-Sep - Rockingham, Northamptonshire
    7-Oct - Silverstone, Northamptonshire
    21-Oct - Brands Hatch, Kent

Post by Eurostc on Wed Jan 25 2012, 23:37

finally the truth is out.... cheers

MG announces BTCC return
    MG Motor UK will return to the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship in 2012 with its stunning new MG6 GT model driven by Jason Plato and Andy Neate.

The British car manufacturer based in Birmingham announced the news this morning. It will be a full official factory-backed programme with the cars prepared by one of the BTCC’s most successful constructors, Triple Eight Race Engineering. They will be built to the BTCC’s new and spectacular turbocharged Next Generation Touring Car regulations.

Both Tesco Fuels, with its Momentum 99 fuel brand, and energy drink KX will be the primary sponsors of the project, leading to the team name of MG KX Momentum Racing.

Oxford’s Plato, BTCC Champion in 2001 (with Triple Eight) and 2010 and also a successful TV presenter, will spearhead the campaign as he seeks a third drivers’ title. For emerging star Neate from Aylesbury it’s a golden opportunity to shine in the BTCC, the UK’s premier motor racing championship that enjoys a significant global following.

MG last competed in the BTCC as a works entry from 2001-03. Since then the BTCC has boomed in terms of TV viewing hours and audience sizes as well as trackside attendance and the company’s return will enable it to promote its brand and particularly the MG6 GT model to a captive audience of many millions. The five-door MG6 GT fastback is the first all-new MG in 16 years.

Post by O-ZERO_Racing on Thu Jan 26 2012, 09:45

yep saw it too, a good looking car. It's good too see a lot of model variations.
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Wed Feb 15 2012, 17:25

James Thompson visited the TCT forum to answer a few questions posted by the users , nice that a race car driver would take the time Very Happy

Thommo James """ quote
    Morning, I love the fact that I have some fantastic support and people really are interested in what I choose to do, but In answer to a couple of points, racing in the UK is dead as a professional driver roughly 96% of the grid pay to drive, so for someone like me that makes it an impossible option as even if I wanted to do it for the love of it its not enough you must bring money.. And lets face it, if the World Champion Championship winning team and former BTCC Champions cannot get the budget/sponsorship to race then leaves little hope for people without personal or family money, its just the changing face of the sport, and no doubt the grids are thriving with people will to pay to race in such a fantastic Championship.

I am very excited about the Lada Sport project, one car this year for me to develope with the team what we are hoping will be a genuinely competitive car by the end of the season, so we hit the ground running in 2013 and onwards all being well..

So Its not a hard descision as to why I might enjoy and relish the prospect of 4 years Lada with the goal to win in the WTCC, compared to trying to raise money to race in BTCC... You never know if things pan out it is possible to combine both this year. Thanks for all the support. JT """""

Post by Eurostc on Wed Mar 21 2012, 00:37

Entry List

Drivers /No./ Driver/Team/ Car/
    1 Matt Neal British Honda Yuasa Racing Team Honda Civic (M)
    4 Mat Jackson British Redstone Racing Ford Focus (I)
    5 Aron Smith Irish Redstone Racing Ford Focus (I)
    6 Liam Griffin British Redstone Racing Ford Focus (I)
    8 Robert Collard British eBay Motors BMW 320si E90 (I)
    11 Frank Wrathall British Dynojet Toyota Avensis (I)
    12 Daniel Welch British Welch Motorsport Proton Persona (I)
    TBA TBA Rob Austin Racing Audi A4 (I)
    17 David Newsham British Team ES Racing.com Vauxhall Vectra (I)
    18 Nick Foster British eBay Motors BMW 320si E90 (I)
    31 Mark Hazell British Rob Austin Racing Audi A4 (I)
    33 Adam Morgan British Speedworks Motorsport Toyota Avensis (I)
    34 Tony Gilham British RCIB Insurance & HARD. Honda Civic (I)
    38 Tom Onslow-Cole British eBay Motors BMW 320si E90 (I)
    43 Lea Wood British BINZ Racing Vauxhall Vectra (I)
    44 Andy Neate British MG KX Momentum Racing MG6 (M)
    48 Oliver Jackson British AmD Tuning.com VW Golf MK5 (I)
    50 Tony Hughes British Speedworks Motorsport Toyota Avensis (I)
    52 Gordon Shedden British Honda Yuasa Racing Team Honda Civic (M)
    55 Jeff Smith British Pirtek Racing Honda Civic (I)
    66 John Thorne British Thorney Motorsport Vauxhall Insignia VXR-R (I)
    77 Andrew Jordan British Pirtek Racing Honda Civic (I)
    78 Chris James British Team ES Racing.com Vauxhall Vectra (I)
    99 Jason Plato British MG KX Momentum Racing MG6 (M)
    TBA TBA Thorney Motorsport Vauxhall Insignia VXR-R (I)

Cars no. 1, 44, 52, 99 eligible for Manufacturers/Constructors Championship.

* Entry from Oulton Park Championship Meeting onwards.

Post by Eurostc on Fri Mar 30 2012, 14:42

well it all starts this weekend.....be neat to see how the new cars match the regs.. Smile

Post by Eurostc on Wed Apr 04 2012, 00:28

Neal, Plato praise each other
    Matt Neal and Jason Plato have praised one another after their ding-dong scrap for supremacy in the second of Brands Hatch’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship races on Sunday.

Both their cars, Neal’s Honda Yuasa Racing Team Honda Civic and Plato’s MG KX Momentum Racing MG6, were making their debut appearances in the championship.

For 12 laps the arch rivals were tied together for the lead, swapping positions twice with several ‘love taps’ thrown in for good measure.

It was three-times Champion Neal, this year aiming to equal Andy Rouse’s record of four crowns, who eventually came out on top after double title-winner Plato ran wide at Clark Curve. But it was the type of nail-biting battle between two top names that had fans and media present recalling other great head-to-heads of the past, some even likening it to the duels Rouse had with his nemesis Steve Soper in the Eighties.

Neal told btcc.net: “I knew Jason was getting impatient because I got one, two and then three taps and he was through. Then when I gave him a nudge I was smiling behind the wheel – laughing in fact. Normally it ends with one of us crying but this time it was just a really good race which never got out of control.

“Twelve laps in I told my team on the radio I didn’t think I could keep him back. He’d been demon into Clark Curve but just once he drifted wide going in and that was my opportunity. It was the first win for the new Civic which was great but extra satisfying because it was against Jason – to win against a driver who’s the equal of any of the top drivers at World Touring Car level is very satisfying. Whether we get on or not he is world class in the car.”

Plato added: “It was very nice to have a race with Matt and not have him disappear in a straight line which happened last year. At last, here we were in a straight fight which the fans want to see. Even though I came second I don’t mind that when we’re fighting in pretty equal cars…

“I have to say I think (BTCC organiser) TOCA has done a brilliant job in getting the turbo-charging right across the different types of engines. I’d say it was just about equal down the straights between different cars. At most I probably took six yards out of Andrew Jordan’s Honda when I got right into his slipstream and that shows there’s not a lot in it out there…”

Post by Jon on Sat Oct 13 2012, 20:15

Looks like we'll have a giant bumble bee on the starting grid for Brands Hatch

Also, it sounds like it's going to be touch and go as to if Tech-Speed will be on the grid with Joe Girling. Thorney have an announcement this Monday to do with Brands Hatch and their entry in 2013
    Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Sat Oct 13 2012, 22:38

wonder who the sponsr is ?

Post by Jon on Sun Oct 14 2012, 00:04

Yellow and black are the colours for both Steal Seal and Duo so presume one of them is coughing up more money, would guess at Steel Seal seeing as the Duo sponsorship is mainly on Bratt's car more so than Austin's and Duo also sponsor Collard.
    Jon

Post by Jon on Tue Oct 16 2012, 20:22

I think this is the best NGTC paint job yet - think it looks brilliant:

Alex Koda
    Admin

Number of posts : 2503

Post by Alex Koda on Tue Oct 16 2012, 20:24

Looks great! Very Americanized Razz

Eurostc

Post by Eurostc on Wed Oct 17 2012, 03:30

yep , it does have shades of Nascar about it...

Post by Jon on Wed Oct 17 2012, 21:01

Its based on the Wix sponsored Nascar, complete with stylised number on the roof Wink

The Insignia has been Gilham'ed so that will no doubt be sporting flashes of green and pink

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 17 2012, 22:37

oh!!! lol! how many sponsors???!!!
    otherwise, seems a good livery

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18 2017, 09:20