Motorsport passion

C.A.R.S

Alex Koda
    Admin

Number of posts : 2503
    Registration date : 2008-11-25

C.A.R.S

Post by Alex Koda on Tue Oct 11 2011, 19:11

Slightly Mad Studios have just officially kicked-off their C.A.R.S. project :

Check it out:
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

50 ft. ELVIS

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2009-10-15

Re: C.A.R.S

Post by 50 ft. ELVIS on Sun May 06 2012, 18:36

Greetings Alex. Great work on all your skins. Have you had a chance to check out pCARS. Although it is considered pre-alpha, many updates and improvements are being focused on force feedback and physics.
    Would be nice to see your skins on pCARS as some members have already added their work to this great-looking works in progress.
    Here's a vid that has a few custom liveries in it.

Cheers,
    Alex Koda
    Admin

Post by Alex Koda on Sun May 06 2012, 18:41

Great looking video! The graphics detail is just insane!
    I still haven't decide what project (game) I will be painting next, but I'm very tempted to go to this one Twisted Evil

50 ft. ELVIS

Post by 50 ft. ELVIS on Sun May 06 2012, 19:06

You get the ability to load game in directX 9 or 11
    There will always be some complaining about the grip level being too high, but I've always had this thinking. Having raced GTR, GTR2, rFactor, Live for Speed, Shift 1,2, I like the way pCARS is being developed. The cars have more grip, but I think too many people think that the harder a car is at handling, the more realistic it is. The physics level has bugged me with some sims as you slide right off the track doing 30mph. You can throw your car off the track with many of the pCARS current models, but the recovery of the slide is what they are working on.
    Cool thing about this project is that members can post suggestions about current "builds" and provide input regarding physics, force feedback, AI, graphics, etc...
    If you love racing and buy titles for your racing library, this is definitely one to get. 45 euro will get you weekly builds and a copy of the finished title (due for release sometime in 2013)
    The only thing that might be considered time consuming is you need to delete your game profile and full build each time a brand new build comes out. SMS has just added an update installer for smaller size updates to add to your current build.
    SMS had announced they will be closing the ability to purchase the pre-alpha stage and then become a closed-beta in the near future. Online net-code has yet to be written in and single player is only available (practice/time trial/race with AI) However, your lap times are posted on the leader boards for each track/model.

Graphics-wise, pCARS is the benchmark for all future sims. Great for us sim racers Very Happy

Alex Koda
    Admin

Post by Alex Koda on Sun May 06 2012, 19:28

I do agree with your mini review of the game Twisted Evil
    Im not a SIM fanatic, as long it gives me pleasure driving it.
    As example, I love rFactor (not all the mods) and I do love Shift 2, two different games that I do enjoy.
    The grip isn't an issue for me, as long it doesn't feel that you are on rails Razz
    How about the skinning process? Its simple to put a skin ingame?

50 ft. ELVIS

Post by 50 ft. ELVIS on Sun May 06 2012, 20:16

There is an entire forum section committed to vehicle painting. They even have livery contests (current one is stockcar they just added, and I believe they need to be original; fictional) The last contest was for Formula One (called Formula A) and the top five were chosen to be added into the final release. You can, however, submit real-world liveries to add to the forum for member download.
    There are members from the sim racing community as a whole (SIMBIN, ISI, etc... who have created various mods who are pCARS members. One in particular, created a custom livery mod manager to install the various member customs.
    Skinning process (not my forte') is Adobe Photoshop (probably the way you do it) and you should have access to all car templates as a member.
    Here is an excerpt from one of the developers regarding skins.
    "Can we just use one custom livery per car at the same time at the moment?"
    Yes. For now you can only have 1 custom livery per car.
    This will change at a later point in time, so that you can have more custom liveries.

50 ft. ELVIS

Post by 50 ft. ELVIS on Sun May 06 2012, 21:35

One more thing... pCARS have added Natural Point to their supported hardware/software, TrackIR. A camera mod (Toca Edit) was made for Shift2 since EA wanted nothing to do with Natural Point, but cheers to SMS for the partnering. If you really want the immersion and you drive in cockpit view, the TrackIR is great for looking ahead as you approach the apex of a turn. Code is yet to be written in, but here's an example someone posted for Shift2. This will be a great addition once it's ready. ( a little pricey, but worth the money and software/driver support)

Alex Koda
    Admin

Post by Alex Koda on Sun May 06 2012, 21:55

Thank you for all the info Smile

Sponsored content